The Bureau of Emergency Medical Services (BEMS) is one of the two bureaus that make up the Division of Fire Standards and Training & Emergency Medical Services. Bureau Chief Nick Mercuri is responsible for overseeing the Bureau (according to RSA 21-P:12-b) and making sure that everything it does centers around the ultimate goal of improved patient safety and high quality out-of-hospital emergency care for everyone in New Hampshire.
The Bureau of EMS is responsible for the following:
- managing the training, testing, and licensing of EMS providers, units, instructors, training agencies, and EMS vehicles, including wheelchair vans (Law: RSA 153-A) (Rules: Saf-C 5900),
- supporting, promoting, and offering education and public information regarding the availability and use of the EMS and trauma services system,
- providing for the training and testing (written/practical) of emergency medical care providers (RSA 153-A:11),
- planning and providing resources for a cooperative effort between private and governmental agencies and emergency medical and adult/pediatric trauma services in the event of an emergency, including a response to a mass casualty incident,
- facilitating the establishment and maintenance of a communications network that addresses citizen access to the emergency medical and trauma services system and communications between all of the agencies and facilities involved in the care or transportation of patients (EMS units, healthcare facilities, EMS Regional Councils, local, county, and state agencies),
- establishing a data collection and analysis capability that provides for the evaluation of the emergency medical and trauma services system (TEMSIS),
- carrying out investigations, as provided under RSA 153-A:14, and
- preparing budgets and grant requests for funds needed to maintain an effective emergency medical and trauma services system.
Bureau Chief Nick Mercuri also servies as an Executive Secretary to the following EMS boards:
- Emergency Medical and Trauma Services Coordinating Board (CB)
- Medical Control Board (MCB)
- Trauma Medical Review Committee (TMRC)
(For more information about the boards, click on the "Boards & Commissions" link on the left-hand navigation pane.)
Questions? Please contact Bureau Chief Mercuri or Deputy Chief Jon Bouffard. General questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Microsoft PowerPoint format. You can download a free reader from Microsoft.
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.