Official New Hampshire website
NHSCA logo 50th anniversary tagline


 nh arts home
 program services
 arts & artists
 nh folklife
 news & calendar
 about us
 site map



Frequently Asked Questions  

Question: What are "NISP" codes?
Answer: NISP refers to the National Standard for Arts Information Exchange Project. Documentation of federal and state funds used to support the arts is through the use of National Information Systems Project (NISP). This standardized collection of information promotes compatibility in the collection of information about the arts.

Both application forms and final report forms request statistical information to assist public funders in tracking requests and grants. Standard (NISP) Codes have been established for data processing purposes. The NISP Codes are the codes that the State Arts Council asks applicants to select and enter onto their application forms.

For more information and a full list of the NISP codes, click here.

Question: Where are your offices located?
We are located at 19 Pillsbury Street, in Concord. Click here for directions. There is free parking in the lot beside the building.

Question: What are your hours?
The Arts Council is open from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. We are closed all State and most Federal holidays.

Question: How does someone get to be a member of one of the grant review panels?
Panelists are drawn from the community, both in New Hampshire and out of state. To nominate yourself or someone else, fill out the Panelist Nomination Form: MSWord / PDF and send the completed form to the New Hampshire State Arts Council, 19 Pillsbury Street, 1st Floor, Concord, NH 03301.

Staff and State Arts Councilors review nominees for consideration. Panelists are selected with consideration of their availability; lack of conflict-of-interest; and the need to achieve balance a variety of factors: in-state and out-of-state perspectives, appropriate range of expertise in arts disciplines and arts administration, and a representative range reflective of the population at large (male, female, diverse cultures, people with disabilities, etc.).

Question: If we are awarded a grant, when will we get our money?
Upon receipt of properly executed grant forms, the State of New Hampshire generally pays grants under $5,000 to grantees within 4 to 6 weeks. If a grantee is awarded $5,000 or more or has received other State Arts Council funds which brings the cumulative total received for that fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) to $5,000 or above, grants need to be approved by Governor and Executive Council; consequently, payment can take up to ten weeks. Grantees should plan cash flow accordingly. All awards are subject to availability of state and federal funds.

The State Arts Council disburses funds appropriated from public sources, both federal and state. Checks are issued by Administrative Services of the State of NH, not the Department of Cultural Resources or the State Arts Council.

Question: How do I find out who my state legislator is?
Look up your legislator by going to this link on the State’s website:

Question: How do I set up a non-profit organization so we can apply for grants?
There are a few basic steps to setting up a non-profit organization. Click here for more information.




Last updated: August 3, 2015
nh | privacy policy | accessibility policy