skip navigationNH Web Site
State of New Hampshire State Police
Missing Persons | Wanted Persons | Criminal Offenders | Troop Stations | Searchclear

Justice Information Bureau
Permits and Licensing Unit
Pistol and Revolver Licensing

In-State Residents: Pistol and Revolver licenses are only issued to Non-Residents by the New Hampshire State Police. Please contact your local policing agency for a Resident Pistol/Revolver License. The Application for a Resident Pistol/Revolver License adobe acrobat reader symbol may be downloaded.

Out-of-State Residents:
Please download the Application for Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver License adobe acrobat reader symbol; fill in the necessary information according to the instructions and mail it to:

Department of Safety
Division of State Police
Permits and Licensing Unit
33 Hazen Drive

***UPDATE 10/25/16*** Please be advised that due to the New Hampshire Supreme Court opinion Bach v. New Hampshire Department of Safety, ___ N.H. ___ (No. 2014-0721, decided June 2, 2016), Out-of-State Residents applying for a Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver License are NOT required to supply the Resident State License Number on Form DSSP 260 and are NOT required to supply either a copy of a valid concealed carry license issued by the state, county, or town in which they reside OR a letter from their local police department, as described in Saf-C 2102.03(c) and on the reverse of Form DSSP 260.

New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver Rules and RSAs:

  • RSA 159 (includes self-defense weapons and martial arts weapons)

  • New Hampshire Code of Administrative Rules Saf-C 2100


The states listed below have indicated that they will recognize New Hampshire resident pistol revolver licenses. Anyone carrying a firearm in New Hampshire is subject to all other applicable laws including RSA 159:3.

Alabama Michigan
Alaska Missouri
Arizona * Mississippi
Arkansas North Carolina
Colorado * North Dakota
Florida * Ohio
Georgia Oklahoma
Idaho Pennsylvania
Indiana South Dakota
Iowa Tennessee
Kansas Utah
Kentucky Virginia
Louisiana West Virginia *
Maine Wyoming

* License holders must be 21 years of age or older.


PLEASE NOTE: Pistol/Revolver licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire or within a state that recognizes a New Hampshire non-resident pistol/revolver license. 

It is extremely important that all license holders be aware of the laws and requirements of all reciprocating states when visiting/traveling. Possession of a license does not supersede any other state's laws or license requirements. License holders are subject to the laws of the state they are visiting.

If you are a New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your New Hampshire license, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons there. For example, some states only recognize a license if the person is 21 years of age or older.

The above is being provided for informational purposes only. The Department of Safety does not make any warranty, express or implied, concerning the accuracy of the information. Every attempt is made to update the information periodically; however, it is each individual’s responsibility to know the laws and requirements concerning possession of pistols/revolvers when traveling in New Hampshire or any other state.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

New Hampshire Department of Safety | 33 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964
transparent graphic
nh | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy