skip navigationOfficial State of NH Site
DOS Logo Fire Standards & EMS Banner
NIMS Compliance | Statewide Patient Care Protocols | Training, Education, Exams | Searchspace

Bureau of Emergency Medical Services
Frequently Asked Questions

Click the title links below to be brought the Q&A for that section.

General Questions | EMS Operations - Licensing and Education Regulation | Data Systems | Clinical Systems

General Questions

Question: I have an Emergency Medical Services question but I am not sure who to call at the Division of Fire Standards and Training & Emergency Medical Services?

Answer: All calls are preferred to be routed through the general phone number which is answered between the hours of 7:45am and 4:00pm. This number is (603) 223-4200. For a complete staff listing, please visit our webpage at,

Question: Where is the Bureau of Emergency Medical Services?

Answer: The Bureau of Emergency Medical Services has two locations within the State of New Hampshire to serve you. Our primary office is located in Concord and is housed within the New Hampshire Fire Academy Administration building along with the Bureaus of Fire Training and Certification and Support. Our secondary location is located in Gorham to service the Northern portion of the State. For more information and directions, please visit our webpage at,


EMS Operations- Licensing and Education Regulation

Question: I am coming in from another state as an EMS provider, what do I need in order to license in New Hampshire?

Answer: To begin with, you must hold a current National Registry certification at the EMR, EMT, AEMT or Paramedic level. You must then complete all of the items listed in the licensing process, including the Criminal Record Information (CHRI) or "background check", as listed in our website at,

Question: Do I have to have an affiliation with a licensed EMS Service (Unit) before I can license as an EMS Provider in the State of New Hampshire?

Answer: Yes, one of the prerequisites to licensure as an EMS Provider in New Hampshire is that you must have a licensed Service/Unit that will attest to your affiliation with that organization. A recognized Unit Head must sign the EMS Provider application form, for new or lapsed providers, in order to verify the affiliation requirement.

Question: My National Registry certification has lapsed or I've never been Nationally Registered. How do I get my National Registry certification?

Answer: The contact person (listed below) at National Registry will explain the process of obtaining your National Registry certification

Corinne Miesse, National Registry Certification Specialist
Phone: 614-888-4484 Ext. 141

Question: How do I register for a BLS (EMR/EMT) practical skills exam in New Hampshire?

Answer: All of the open BLS Practical Exams are listed in the Course Catalog at, 
Select the exam of your choice and click on the "ONLINE REG LINK" in the last column, fill out and submit the request form. A Division Staff member will respond to the request and assist you further with scheduling an exam.

Question: Once I have completed my BLS practical skills exam, what is the process by which National Registry is notified?

Answer: The assigned Division of EMS Education Specialist will recieve the results from the practical exam and review the results. Once a candidate has passed the exam, this staff member will then access the National Registry site and verify that the individual candidate has in fact passed the practical skills testing. This can only happen if the candidate has completed an "account" with the National Registry, this step is completed between the National Registry and the candidate. Access the NR site at: 

Question: What is the difference between the National Registry National Continued Competency Programs (NCCP) National Components, Local/State Components and the Individual Components for a recertifying EMS provider?

Answer: The National Registry has outlined these three categories of requirements on their website at, and it is best for you to visit this site for details of the entire program. Specific to the "Local/State requirements" this category is set aside for requirements the State EMS agency, the "Local" EMS Service and/or the Medical Resource Hospital (related to the EMS Service to which you affiliate) is mandating. Check with your EMS Service Training Officer and Medical Resource Hospital for their required topics. The State required topics are listed on the Division website and are updated as needed:

Question: I am a relicensing EMS Provider in the State of New Hampshire, where do I get my License Identification Number (LIN#)?

Answer: Your LIN# is the unique identifier that acts as your electronic signature on the online/electronic application available to the renewing provider. You receive your specific LIN# in the USPS mailing from the Division once per license cycle (in December or January). The letter, or at minimum the LIN#, should be saved by you as it will not change. Only this particular number is acceptable during the online application process, if you do not have it on the electronic form when submitted, the application will be denied.

If you have lost your LIN#, you must call the Division (603) 223-4200 for verification and the number will be resent to you in an email. It will not be given out over the phone.

Question: Why does the initial EMS Provider license process take such a long time?

Answer: An initial EMS Provider license applicant is now required to complete a background check and be reported to the Divisions as "No Record" by the NH State Police Criminal Records Unit (CRU) before an EMS Provider's license can be processed. The CRU process can take up to three weeks. If any required documents are incomplete, this can extend the time period for processing.

If all required documents are complete and sent as one packet directly to the Division of FST&EMS, at the full address on the EMS Provider applicant form, the processing is more streamlined. The Division staff will recognize incomplete documents, the applicant will be contacted and the process can then continue. Once all requirements are met, the EMS license number should be assigned within 10 business days and you will be notified. The initial notification is via email and then followed up by a wallet card in the mail. If either address is incorrect or not current, your license will be delayed.

The "Step by Step" document located on the bottom of the following webpage is of great guidance and will assist you in submitting the correct documents:


Data Systems

Question: How do I add a provider to my service in TEMSIS?

Answer: You must contact the Licensing Team at and request that your provider be affiliated with your service. Once licensing affiliates the provider to your service, they will be added to your service in TEMSIS.

Question: How do I add someone who is part of our service but is not a provider (e.g. administrative staff, non-licensed Driver or Chief) to our service in TEMSIS?

Answer: Send an email to requesting they be added by the TEMSIS team. Include the person's first and last name, email address and what their role is so we can set their permission level. The person requesting that they be added must be one of the authorized signers for your service as listed in the Licensing database.

Question: How do we add a new billing service to be able to access our service?

Answer: Send an email to authorizing the billing service to access your service records. Include the name of the billing company. You or the billing company must then send us a list of any billing staff that may access your records. The list should include first and last name, and email address of all billing staff. Per federal HIPAA rules, each person accessing EMS records must have their own distinctly identifiable account, so we will not create a general account for billing companies.

Question: We have a provider on our staff list, but they don't show up on the provider list in the run form. How do I fix that?

Answer: The provider must have a State of Licensure (NH) and their license number in the State License ID field in their profile under the "Certifications" tab; AND under the "Employment" tab>Certifications tab>State Licensure Level field. Because users were migrated from the old system and new users are currently being entered manually, a small number of providers currently don't have a license level in their profile or the correct level if they upgrade or downgraded their license level. This will resolve itself with future upgrades to the licensing software coming in 2019.

Question: We have providers who don't have their provider level automatically populate when you choose their name in the run form.

Answer: The provider's level pulls from the Agency Licensure level/Practice level listed in the provider's TEMSIS profile to fill in the run form. To make sure that is correct: Insure that the provider has the correct provider level entered under the provider's profile > Certifications tab> State License Level field. Under the provider's profile>Certifications tab> Agency Licensure Group (right side) check the "Same as State" box.

Question: How do I make someone a TEMSIS Service Administrator for my service?

Answer: Anyone who is a TEMSIS Service Administrator for a service has permission to up or down grade anyone in the service to or from TEMSIS Service Administrator. This can be done under the provider profile > Account details tab> Permission group field. If there is no one currently listed as the Service Administrator permission level for your service, contact the TEMSIS team at and they can help you out.

Question: As a TEMSIS Service Administrator, how can I reset the password for one of my providers in TEMSIS?

Answer: This can be done under the providers profile> Account details tab> Password field. The system automatically checks the "Require Reset" button, which forces the user to change their password the next time they sign in. Use a temporary password for the user, not one they choose, so they can change their password to that one when they login again. Check the "Login Access" under the same tab is marked "Yes" or they won't be able to login. Make sure the provider's email is up-to-date under the Demographics tab so they can reset their own password in the future.

Question: I am a new provider. What is my username and initial temporary password to access TEMSIS?

Answer: Your user name is your 5 digit NH license number without any letters added (i.e. NOT12345E). Your temporary password is: Password#1 (case sensitive)


Clinical Systems

Question: Where do I find the NH Patient Care Protocols?

Answer: They are linked in the black header of every page of this website underneath our name, second title in on the right side called "Statewide Patient Care Protocols". The link to bookmark is,

Question: Can a paramedic transfer care down to an EMT or AEMT?

Answer: When transferring care from one provider to another, the transfer must be to a provider of equal or higher level unless the patient's condition and reasonably anticipated complications can be effectively managed by a lower level provider's scope of practice. For example, a paramedic who is a member of a non-transporting agency may transfer care of a patient with an uncomplicated ankle injury to an EMT for transport. On the other hand, a patient who is treated on the scene by a paramedic for active seizures shall only have care transferred to another paramedic.

Question: Some protocols have multiple standing orders within them; do I have to carry out all of these standing orders:

Answer: Standing orders listed in the protocols are not orders that must be carried out. They are orders that may be carried out at the discretion of the EMS provider without the need for online medical control. EMS providers at any level of training are encouraged to contact online medical control in cases where they feel that additional treatment is warranted beyond standing orders, cases where there is uncertainty regarding treatment (e.g. age or size appropriateness for a pediatric patient procedure), or in cases involving medico-legal or jurisdictional issues.

Question: Multiple medications are sometimes listed to provide options for treatments; do I need to carry all of those medications?

Answer: The first medication listed is considered the "preferred agent", the list is intended to provide latitude to medical directors and medical resource hospitals to choose which medication an EMS agency under its direction may carry. It will also help us deal with ongoing medication shortages. There is no intent that all listed should be carried.

Question: When do I use lights and sirens?

Answer: The majority of patients do not medically require transport with lights and sirens. Lights and sirens should be justified by the need for immediate medical intervention that is beyond the capabilities of the ambulance crew using available supplies and equipment, (e.g. STEMI, acute stroke, multi-system trauma). Use of lights and sirens should be denoted in the patient care report.

Question: How is pediatric patient defined?

Answer: For purposes of the protocols, a pediatric patient is defined as a child who fits on a length-based resuscitation tape up to 36 kg (79 pounds) or 145 cm (57 inches).

Question: What is considered complex ventilator settings?

Answer: Complex ventilators are those with pressure control settings and/or PEEP>10 mmHg.

New Hampshire Department of Safety | 33 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964
nh seal | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy