NH Division of Motor Vehicles
NH Division of Motor Vehicles - an official New Hampshire Government Website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation

Driver Licensing > Record Change Request > Name Change

Any New Hampshire driver who changes his or her name is required by law (RSA 263:9) to submit written notification to the DMV within 30 days. Applicants must appear in person at any DMV office with the following:

  1. A completed and signed Record Change RequestAdobe Acrobat Reader Symbol.
  2. Your current New Hampshire Driver License.
  3. Legal documentation of the name change, such as:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Adoption decree.
    • Name change petition from the court of Probate.
    • Other court decree authorizing a legal name change.

You must hand in your current New Hampshire driver license and a replacement license with a new photo and signature will be issued at no charge. At the DMV office, you will be given a 60-day, temporary paper license and the permanent license will be mailed to you.

Things to Know about Name Changes

  • Name changes are not accepted through the mail. Members of the Armed Forces and their spouses should review the rules for Military Personnel before processing a name change.
  • If a divorce decree states that the individual wishes to retain his or her married name, then he or she cannot obtain a license with their maiden name.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles | 23 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: RELAY NH (7-1-1)