NH Division of Motor Vehicles
NH Division of Motor Vehicles - an official New Hampshire Government Website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation

Driver Licensing > Non-US Citizen

The Non-US Citizen office establishes driver license policies, procedures, and requirements for Non-US citizens who are temporarily residing in New Hampshire or who have applied for permanent residency. RSA 263:39-a.

Original Driver License or Non-Driver Identification

Requirements for an Original Driver License or Non-Driver Identification will depend on the driver's status in the country and length of stay.

  • When applying for a Driver License or Non Driver Identification Card, Permanent Residents, Ayslees and Refugees may make an appointment to go to any DMV office and Non-US Citizens on VISAs or Work Authorization cards must request an appointment in the Concord DMV office.

  • Non-US Citizens who have established residency in New Hampshire should review the requirements for a Permanent Resident, Asylee, Refugee, and Work Authorization Card holder.

  • Non-US Citizens who hold a student or work Visa should review the requirements for Non-US Citizens temporarily residing in New Hampshire.

  • Non-US Citizens who are visiting on a tourist Visa (B1 or B2) are not eligible for a New Hampshire Driver License.

  • If you are an "A" or "G" Visa holder, please provide a letter of non-eligibility from the US Department of State.

  • For a driver license, all Non-US applicants must make an appointment to take a full test (vision, knowledge and road test) unless you are transferring an out-of-state, U.S. Territory, Canadian, or French license not expired more than one year. The knowledge test is available in English, French and Spanish. Interpreters for all languages except French and Spanish are permitted to interpret the knowledge test at the Concord DMV only. Interpreters must provide identification.

  • If you do not have a valid driver license to transfer or a valid license from your home country, you must take a New Hampshire Driver Education course and must comply with the Driver Licensing Requirement for Minors.

  • If you have an EAD card and already hold a NH driver license or identification card and are currently under deportation proceedings, you must provide your new court hearing date in order to receive an extension.

Contact Information

Please contact the Non-US Citizen office if you have any questions regarding Non-US Citizen driver licenses or non-driver identification cards at:

NH Dept. of Safety
DMV - Non-US Citizen Office
23 Hazen Drive
Concord NH 03305
(603) 227-4020

New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles | 23 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: RELAY NH (7-1-1)