NH Division of Motor Vehicles
NH Division of Motor Vehicles - an official New Hampshire Government Website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation

Driver Licensing > Commercial Driver License > School Bus Certificate

School Bus Endorsement

A school bus endorsement (S endorsement) is a federally recognized endorsement required by any state to drive a school bus designed to transport 16 or more students, including the driver. To obtain this endorsement drivers must pass:

  • School Bus Knowledge Test.
  • School Bus Road Skills Test.

School Bus Certificate

A School Bus Certificate is a separate certification required for any driver wishing to operate a school bus in New Hampshire. To obtain and renew a School Bus Certificate you must do the following:

  • You must be currently employed and on the roster of a school bus company.
  • You must pass the school bus certificate knowledge test to obtain a certificate and re-take the exam every 5 years to renew your certificate.

If you want to drive a school bus in New Hampshire, you need both the school bus endorsement (S endorsement) and a school bus certificate.

Related Links:

New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles | 23 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: RELAY NH (7-1-1)