NH Division of Motor Vehicles
NH Division of Motor Vehicles - an official New Hampshire Government Website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation

Driver Licensing > Commercial Driver License > Apply for a CDL

Apply for a Commercial Driver License (CDL)

Drivers who currently hold a valid New Hampshire operators license and wish to add commercial classifications, may appear at any DMV office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to begin testing and must bring:

Every applicant is required to pass a vision test and the CDL General Knowledge Test. Additional knowledge tests are required based on the desired Classifications and Endorsements. Drivers should thoroughly review the Commercial Driver License ManualAdobe Acrobat Reader Symbolbefore applying for a CDL.

Once the required knowledge tests have been passed, the applicant will be scheduled for a Road Skills Test based on the desired class and endorsements.

Add Endorsements to a CDL License

Drivers who have a valid New Hampshire CDL license and who wish to add additional endorsements must pass a vision test and the appropriate knowledge test for the endorsement. Applicants may go to any DMV office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. with:

Once the required knowledge tests have been passed, the applicant will be scheduled for the appropriate road skills test if applicable. Drivers applying for a hazmat endorsement must receive a Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) Fingerprint Clearance before applying.

Transfer a CDL License from another State

Written tests are generally not required to transfer a valid out-of-state CDL to a New Hampshire CDL with the same class and endorsements except in the case of Hazmat endorsements. Drivers transferring a Hazmat endorsement must be fingerprinted prior to coming to the DMV and take the Hazmat knowledge test.

Renew a New Hampshire CDL License

To renew a New Hampshire Commercial Driver License, appear in person at any DMV office with:

All applicants for CDL renewal must pass the vision test, and based on their endorsements, there may be the following additional requirements:

  • Hazardous Material (Hazmat): Renewal of a Hazmat endorsement requires:
    1. Clearance from TSA via fingerprinting prior to coming to the DMV and then;
    2. Passing the Hazmat knowledge test.
  • School Bus Certificate: Renewal of a school bus certificate requires:
    1. Proof that you have been trained and are currently on a school bus company roster for the current school year.
    2. Passing the school bus certificate knowledge test.

Military CDL Road Test Waiver

Eligible veterans who are trained in the operation of heavy vehicles can apply for a waiver of the CDL road test and obtain a New Hampshire CDL by passing the written exam. To be eligible for the road test waiver, applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • Be actively serving in the military or be a veteran within 12 months of honorable or general discharge.
  • Be a New Hampshire resident.
  • Produce a Commanding Officer's certification on form DSMV 609.Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol
  • Successfully pass the required CDL knowledge exams.
  • List all driving offenses during the past two years for both military and civilian licenses.

Applicants must not have any alcohol-related or major driving offenses during the previous two years on both civilian and military licenses. The Division of Motor Vehicles reserves the right to disqualify applicants based on information obtained during the application process.

To apply for the waiver, service members or recent veterans can download the waiver applicationAdobe Acrobat Reader Symbol and take the completed form to any DMV location.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles | 23 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: RELAY NH (7-1-1)