NH Division of Motor Vehicles
NH Division of Motor Vehicles - an official New Hampshire Government Website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation

Driver Licensing > Apply for a Driver License > Renew While Out of State

New Hampshire residents can renew a driver license either in person or online. New Hampshire does not offer driver license renewal by mail. If you are temporarily away from New Hampshire when your license expires you may be eligible for a six month extension if you meet the following criteria:

  • Your image is on file at the DMV.
  • Your license is not suspended or revoked.
  • You don’t have any outstanding fees or fines.

Requesting a License Extension

In order to apply for a six month license extension, you must contact the DMV at (603) 227-4020 to confirm that you have an image on file in the DMV computer system. Once you confirm your image is on file, mail the following to the Concord DMV:

Please mail your application and payment to:

NH Dept. of Safety
DMV - Driver Licensing
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

The DMV will send a six-month temporary license to the out-of-state address you provide. When you return to New Hampshire, you must go to a DMV office in person to complete the renewal process.

Related Links

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles | 23 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: RELAY NH (7-1-1)