Website Name - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size

Employees and/or another employee organization may request an election to change the bargaining unit representative by filing a Petition for Certification – Challenge to Existing Representatives.  The petition must be supported by Authorization Cards signed by at least 30% of the employees holding positions in the bargaining unit.  The requirements of Pub 301.01 apply. 

Consistent with RSA 273-A:11 (b)Pub 301.03, and Pub 301.01, petitions filed during the term of an existing contract may only be submitted 240 to 180 days prior to the budget submission date in the year the contract expires, and any resulting election must be conducted during the period 180 to 120 days prior to the budget submission date.  Note: contract extension or duration clauses do not apply when calculating these filing dates.  Petitions may be filed any time following a contract’s expiration and before a successor agreement has been reached.

In cases where the intent is to form and represent a new bargaining unit comprised of a portion of the employees in an existing bargaining unit, a Modification Petition and a Petition for Certification – Challenge to Existing Representative must be filed simultaneously.  Note: a challenge petition is filed because the incumbent exclusive representative of the existing bargaining unit is entitled to appear as a ballot choice in the event an election is scheduled.  The time constraints on filing during the term of a contract apply.
New Hampshire Public Employee Labor Relations Board
2½ Beacon Street, Suite 200 | Concord, NH 03301
Telephone: (603) 271-2587 | E-mail: pelrb@nh.gov
The materials presented on this website are provided for informational purposes only. No information, data or statements should be considered as personal or specific legal counsel to any visitor to this site. If you have a specific question requiring a legal opinion you should contact your own union representative or your own attorney.