Municipal and Regional Planning Assistance staff provides information, guidance, and training to municipal officials and staff, regional and state planners and the general public about laws and regulations pertaining to land use.
What Is Planning?
Planning, also called urban planning or city and regional planning, is a dynamic profession that works to improve the welfare of people and their communities by creating more convenient, equitable, healthful, efficient, and attractive places for present and future generations.
Planning enables civic leaders, businesses, and citizens to play a meaningful role in creating communities that enrich people's lives.
Good planning helps create communities that offer better choices for where and how people live. Planning helps communities to envision their future. It helps them find the right balance of new development and essential services, environmental protection, and innovative change. [American Planning Association]
- Want to learn more about the OSI Planning Division? See this two page handout for an overview of our programs, services, and resources.
- Interested in volunteering for your local planning board or zoning board of adjustment? Take a look at this short informational flyer .
- Are you curious about overall statewide planning? See this article from the September/October 2015 issue of NH Town and City.
- Have you heard about the 3-year (2012-2014) community-based program about what people want for the future of communities, regions, and the state? See A Granite State Future.
- Training for new board members as outlined in RSA 673:3-a is provided through planning and zoning conferences, web-based training and a variety of handbooks, technical bulletins and other publications.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Planning Boards and Zoning Boards of Adjustment.
- Plan-link, a free email forum for planners to share information and ideas.
- Planning Partners - links to many other planning related organizations.
- Land Use Regulation Process in NH
- Planning and Zoning Conference page containing links to agendas and session handouts from upcoming and past spring and fall planning and zoning conferences.
- A-Z Subject Listing, a collection of planning, zoning and energy information alphabetized by topics and subjects.
- Municipal Land Use Regulation Annual Survey, OSI annually surveys municipalities regarding thier land use pursuant to RSA 675:9.
- Coordinates State funding for regional planning agencies;
- Assists with the development of the Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan and the State Development Plan;
- Responds to inquiries from regional and local planners and officials, and from the public;
- Prepares and updates guidebooks, technical bulletins and videos on municipal planning, zoning and related topics of interest;
- Maintains a central file of local land use regulations as required by RSA 675:9;
- Maintains and updates annually a database on the status of municipal planning and land use regulations in New Hampshire;
- Develops and presents training programs for local land use boards and Regional Planning Commissions in accordance with State statutes; and
- Provides technical assistance to communities about land use regulation and floodplain management.
Telephone: (603) 271-6651