A list of planning and zoning publications that provide guidance on various planning, zoning, and land use topics.
Planning and Zoning Handbooks by NH OSI
In an effort to save resources, the 2020 versions of the Planning Board Handbook and the Board of Adjustment Handbook are available as a supplement to the 2019 versions of the handbooks. To use, simply print out the respective supplement, available below, and insert the revised page in its respective location in the 2019 version.
Also, this year’s changes to the handbooks are identified both in redlined format (via tracked changes) and are also separately summarized for your convenience.
- The Planning Board in New Hampshire: A Handbook for Local Officials (updated 3/2021)
- The Board of Adjustment in New Hampshire: A Handbook for Local Officials (updated 3/2021)
You may order hard copies of the above handbooks using the Publications Order Form or by calling OSI at (603) 271-2155.
Other Planning Publications by NH OSI
- Developments of Regional Impact (2017)
- Planning for Accessory Dwellings (2017)
- Master Planning in New Hampshire (2016)
- Tax Increment Financing (2015)
- Planning for Wireless Telecommunications (2014)
- Small Wind Energy Systems (2008)
- State Development Plan (2000)
Statewide Planning Publications by Other Organizations
- Buffers for Wetlands and Surface Waters - A Guidebook for New Hampshire Municipalities (NH Audubon, 1997)
- Granite State Future (Regional Planning Commissions, 2015)
- Innovative Land Use Planning Techniques Handbook (NH DES, 2008)
- Local Regulation of Agriculture Toolkit (NH Dept. of Agriculture, Markets & Food, 2017)
- NH Climate Action Plan (NH DES, 2009)
- NH DOT 2019-2028 Ten Year Plan (NH DOT, 2018)
- NH Five-Year Preservation Plan (2016-2020) (NH DHR, 2016)
- NH Livable Walkable Communities Toolkit (AARP, 2012)
- NH Wildlife Action Plan (NH F&G, 2015)
- Preparing NH for Projected Storm Surge, Sea-Level Rise, and Extreme Precipitation (NH Coastal Risk and Hazards Commission, 2016)
- Regional Planning Commission Regional Plans (NH RPCs, 2015)
- State Energy Strategy (NH OSI, 2018)
- State Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan (NH HSEM, 2018)
- Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP) (NH DNCR, 2018)