This page contains information about Accessory Dwelling Units.
Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) Resources
New Hampshire Resources
- A New Hampshire Homeowner's Guide to Accessory Dwelling Units , New Hampshire Housing
- Accessory Dwelling Units in New Hampshire, A Guide for Municipalities , New Hampshire Housing
- RSA 674:71-73, Accessory Dwelling Units (Effective date: June 1, 2017)
- Accessory Dwelling Unit Model Ordinance , Rockingham Planning Commission, September 29, 2016
- The New Law on Accessory Dwelling Units , NHMA, September 2016
The New Hampshire Municipal Association has produced a four page handout meant to provide a basic "Do's and Don'ts" for the new laws governing Accessory Dwelling Unit laws, Chapter 674, Sections 71-73. The last page contains proposed language for a simple zoning amendment that would allow an ADU by right under a local zoning ordinance. (Provided with expressed permission.)
- Make Room for Daddy: The New Law on Accessory Dwelling Units, New Hampshire Town and City, July/August, 2016
By Cordell A. Johnston, Government Affairs Counsel
In March of 2016, Governor Hassan signed into law Senate Bill 146, relative to accessory dwelling units. The fundamental requirement of the new law is that every municipality with a zoning ordinance "shall allow accessory dwelling units as a matter of right or by either conditional use permit pursuant to RSA 674:21 or by special exception, in all zoning districts that permit single-family dwellings."
- Presentation of ADU Regulations in Londonderry
- Portsmouth (population 21,496) has adopted an interesting ADU ordinance which, in addition to attached and detached ADUs, includes provisions for garden cottages
- Portsmouth ADU ordinance (excerpts from the full Portsmouth Zoning Ordinance, as amended through January 9, 2017 )
- Hollis (population 7,754) Hollis Zoning Ordinance , Section IX,K.
- Effingham (population 1,481) Effingham Zoning Ordinance , Article 23.
- Accessory Dwellings Presentation NH Office of Strategic Initiatives, August 2017