Dates & Deadlines
Tuesday, 9/15/2020 -- Placing of requests in the system may resume with Quarantine of ILL Materials in effect.
Timeline for adding new ILL participants (November 2020)
Monday, November 9, 2020 -- Profiling Surveys open for new participating libraries.
Wednesday, December 2, 2020 -- Profiling Surveys close and data for new participants is compiled.
Wednesday, December 9, 2020 -- Libraries who completed surveys will recieve confirmation emails that data was received.
Tuesday, December 15, 2020 (by 4pm) Deadline for non-Z-Target libraries to upload their holdings file to Auto-Graphics.
Friday, December 18, 2020 -- Deadline for Self-guided Training Form to be RECEIVED in NHAIS Services from profiled libraries who want their accounts activated in the system on January 8th.
Thursday, January 7, 2021 -- Credentials for logging into the system will be sent to the directors of profiled and trained libraries.
Friday, January 8, 2021 -- Accounts for newly credentialed libraries will be activated (by noon).
Signing Up to Participate in the NHAIS ILL System
This page explains the process we need your library to follow to provide us with information about your local system and your intentions regarding participation in NHAIS ILL. Links to all the forms you will need are included in a summary list at the bottom of this page.
Any NHAIS member library that wishes to participate in the automated NHAIS Interlibrary Loan System will need to provide NHSL NHAIS Services with current profile information. Several online surveys have been developed to collect this information. Which of these surveys your library needs to complete will depend on how your library will contribute and maintain holdings in the NHAIS ILL System. Because much of the information is of a technical nature you will probably need to contact your local system vendor or administrator to collect the required information. Links to PDF versions of all the surveys are included below so you can see what data you need to gather before completing the online surveys. You must complete the surveys online; paper copies cannot be accepted. We designed the surveys to be as non-repetitive as possible and to only ask about what we have to know to move forward with the project. The nature of the data required did necessitate repeating information in some places.
We will be collecting responses from the online survey tool on specific dates (see Dates & Deadlines above). Confirmation emails will be sent to the address included in the survey AFTER the survey close date when we have checked that the data is complete. This confirmation email will also include any follow-up material or additional questions that need to be answered based on your responses.
If your library wants to be part of the new NHAIS Interlibrary Loan System you will need to complete the NH ILL Profile Survey (links are further down this page) and your library director will need to sign a new NHAIS ILL Agreement. The agreement must be sent to NHAIS Services in paper form with an original signature.
There are two options available for having your library holdings included in the NHAIS Interlibrary Loan System. You must select one of these options and complete the indicated profiling before you will be able to participate in NHAIS ILL.
Option 1 – Z39.50
Your local automated library system can be connected to the NHAIS Interlibrary Loan System via Z39.50 and make use of real-time availability information for ILL requests. With this option you will need to maintain holdings only in your local system; no additions or deletions will need to be sent to NHAIS to keep your holdings current in compliance with the NHAIS ILL Agreement. This option results in the Z39.50 target receiving many searches and "hits" at any time of day as users search the site.
This option is ONLY available to libraries that have one of these local systems in place:
• Biblionix Apollo
• Booksystems Atriuum
• Innovative Millennium
• Innovative Polaris
• Innovative Sierra
• OCLC WMS
• SirsiDynix EOS.web
• SirsiDynix Horizon
• SirsiDynix Symphony
• TLC CARL
• TLC Library Solutions
This option includes the additional functionality (which you may choose to use or not) to have patrons be able to log in using their local library barcode and place patron-initiated ILL requests which your staff will then mediate.
If you choose Option 1 you will need to complete the Z39.50 Configuration Survey.
Option 2 – Union Catalog
You will send an extraction of your entire MARC database from your local library system (or have your existing NHU-PAC holdings extracted by NHAIS Services) to be added to the new NHAIS ILL System. This option requires that you add holdings for new acquisitions and delete holdings for discarded items from the NHAIS ILL System on a regular basis following the procedures set for this by NHSL NHAIS Services.
If your library has no local system, or has a local system that is not included in the Option 1 list, then this is the appropriate choice for your library. This option is available to any NH library.
If you choose Option 2 you will need to complete the Union Database Configuration Survey.
Patron-Initiated Request Option
If you chose Option 1 AND you would like your patrons to be able to log in to the NHAIS ILL System using their local library barcode and place ILL requests (which your staff will then mediate before they go to a lending library) you will need to complete the SIP2 Configuration Survey. Note that configuring this option for your patrons will add steps (how meny depends on your local system configuration) to any requests placed by your library staff. See Variation on ILL Requests for SIP2 Libraries for more info on this.
These surveys ask for many technical details. You can preview the questions--and consult your system administer or vendor if necessary--before starting the online survey by looking at the print-friendly pdf versions which are linked below. Paper surveys will NOT be accepted; you must complete all info using the online surveys.
For your library to participate in NHAIS ILL you must:
- Print, sign and return to NHSL (on paper) a new NHAIS ILL Agreement
- Complete the NH ILL Profile Survey
PDF copy for planning: illprofile.pdf
Online survey: www.surveymonkey.com/r/ILLprofile
- Depending on how you want to manage your holdings you will complete EITHER
Z39.50 Configuration Survey
PDF copy for planning: z3950configuration.pdf
Online survey: www.surveymonkey.com/r/option1Z3950
Union Database Configuration Survey
PDF copy for planning: unioncatalog.pdf
Online survey: www.surveymonkey.com/r/option2UnionCat
- If you choose the Z39.50 option AND you would like your patrons to be able to log in to the NHAIS ILL System using their local library barcode and place ILL requests (which your staff will then mediate before they go to a lending library) you will ALSO need to complete the SIP2 Configuration Survey
PDF copy for planning: sip2survey.pdf
Online survey: www.surveymonkey.com/r/NHILLsip2
- All participating libraries must complete the Self-Guided Training program and send the signed form back to NHAIS services indicating that the trainining was completed.
Tips for completing surveys:
- Don't answer the same survey multiple times -- use the pdf copies linked above to plan your answers. If you do end up with duplicate (or incorrect)
answers call us right away (271-2141) and we can go into the survey tool
and fix your entry or delete the duplicate.
- Read the whole email we send you about your survey data-- they are
specific to your library's survey responses and in some cases have
several follow-up actions in them that you need to take so we can set up
your library in the new system.
- Complete the follow-up actions as requested -- if we asked for a
paper form don't email a scan, if we asked for an email confirming
something don't call and tell us your answer.
- If you need a copy of the answers you gave to your surveys make them
as you go along. You can use the pdf copies of the surveys to keep a record of what you said.
If you have questions about any of this, or if you think your library has submitted multiple copies of a survey or incorrect information, please contact the NHAIS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 603-271-2141.
ILL Readiness Survey
To help us with planning when and how to resume ILL after it was suspended due to COVID-19 we created this ILL Readiness Survey along with a pdf preview of the questions
Required Open IP Addresses on Your Firewall
NHAIS libraries who are maintaining their holdings using Option 1 - z39.50 OR are configuring the Check-shelf Status function MUST open the Z39.50 port specified in your survey for the following Auto-Graphics IPs in your firewalls. This will allow the Auto-Graphics servers to connect to and search the library’s local z39.50 catalog. If your catalog is hosted by a vendor you will need them to set up this access.
188.8.131.52 through 184.108.40.206
libraries can use Z39.50 to search for and download MARC records from the NHAIS ILL System into their
local system or a Z39.50 client at no charge. Z39.50 connection details are included in Options for Downloading MARC Records from NHU-PAC
For items not
found in the NHU-PAC NHAIS member libraries can enter brief record requests using the Brief Records form and we will locate an appropriate MARC record, either in the NHU-PAC or from
OCLC, and add it to the NHU-PAC so it can be downloaded via Z39.50 or directly through the NHAIS ILL System if you are a participating libary.
- On September 15, 2020 ILL Services were restarted with a Quarantine of ILL Materials in place.
- On March 18, 2020 ILL Services were suspended due to COVID-19
- On October 14, 2019 libraries maintaining their holdings via the Union Catalog began contributing files of deletions and new holdings
- October 8, 2019 -- Go Live Date for the new NHAIS ILL System
- On October 7, 2019 credentials for logging into the new system will be sent by email to the Director of each profiled and trained library
- On October 4, 2019at 5pm all the ILL transactions in the training version of the system were deleted and practice passwords deactivated
- September 24-26, 2019 training sessions were held for the new system and were attended by 600 people from 220 libraries.
- September 3, 2019 was the deadline for profiling surveys to be completed (including follow-up info) in order to be part of go-live.
- August 16, 2019 was the last day NHAIS Services accepted files for additions to, and deletions from, the old NHU-PAC
- On July 27, 2019 an email was sent to the director of each NHAIS library inviting them to participate in the new system.
- On July 10, 2019 a contract was approved by Governor & Council with Auto-Graphics to provide a statewide ILL solution to NH.
- In June 2018 an RFP was issued seeking proposals for an interlibrary loan solution for NHAIS.
- In October and November 2017 we conducted a survey of the NH library
community to gather input about what the Next iteration of NHU-PAC
should include. On 1/16/2018 we finished compiling the data and released
a Report of Survey Results.