NHSL header
NHSL Logo  NHSL Logo

 NHSL Home
 News and Events
 Contact Us
 Search This Site
 Site Map

New Hampshire State Library
About Us - Policies - Borrowing Policy

General Public | State and Legislative Employees | Legislators | Registration Form

General Public

  1. Registration is open to New Hampshire residents as defined by RSA 21:6 "A resident or inhabitant or both of this state and of any city, town or other political subdivision of this state shall be a person who is domiciled or has a place of abode or both in this state and in any city, town or other political subdivision of this state, and who has, through all of his actions, demonstrated a current intent to designate that place of abode as his principal place of physical presence for the indefinite future to the exclusion of all other"
  2. To prove residency and qualify for registration at the State Library, the patron must provide one of the following forms of identification
    • New Hampshire driver's license (with current address)
    • New Hampshire state issued identification card (with current address)
    • Other identification that contains the patron's name, photograph and current address
    If you are unsure if the identification form is acceptable, verify it with the Circulation Supervisor.

State Employees and Legislative Employees

  1. State or Legislative employees may register as such and qualify for interlibrary loan services; database searches; free photocopying privileges; and any other services we provide unique to state and legislative employees. These services are only for work related requests. To prove employment by the state, the patron must provide the following forms of identification.
    • State employee identification card or a current State of New Hampshire payroll stub.
    • New Hampshire driver's license or other photo identification form as described under the General Public Section.
  2. If the employee does not have a state i.d. or payroll stub with him/her, you can verify employment by calling the employee's supervisor. Or you can register them as general public (see General Public Section). and they can later upgrade to state employee status with proper i.d. When no longer employed by state government, the patron must register as a member of the general public following the guidelines for the General Public.

New Hampshire Legislators

  1. Current New Hampshire legislators qualify for the same privileges as state and legislative employees. In order to register the legislator must provide a photo identification form as described under General Public registration procedures.
  2. Check the legislator's name against the current roster of the General Court to verify status.
  3. When the patron is no longer a member of the General Court, the patron must register as a member of the general public following the guidelines for the General Public.

Registration Form

  1. Registration requests are made in person at the Circulation Desk.
  2. The State Library uses a separate form for the general public; state and legislative employees; and legislators. The information to be included on all forms is:
    1. Home
    2. Home address
    3. Home telephone number
    4. Place of employment and address
    5. Work telephone number
    6. Signature
  3. Patrons shall complete the registration form and present the appropriate form of identification. The staff member will review the form for accuracy and give the patron a copy of our circulation rules (when they become available). The patron will then be asked to sign the registration form, acknowledging that s/he has been given a copy of the rules and agrees to abide by them.
  4. Date the registration form with the date of expiration. Registrations are valid for two years, from the month of registration. (Exception: Legislators registrations shall expire the first Wednesday of December in even numbered years). Registration forms are to be filed alphabetically by patron name.
  5. Expired registration forms: when a patron's registration has expired, the staff member will ask the patron to update the information on the registration form. The staff member will have the patron provide the appropriate identification forms to verify state residency, state or legislative employment, or election to the General Court. The staff member will stamp the registration form with the new date of expiration.

    Expired registration cards will be kept for one year, after which they will be torn up and discarded.

  6. All patrons shall be registered under these new rules even though their current registration cards have not expired.

    The new registration cards will be kept separate from the old registration cards.

nh seal NH.gov | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy