||The New Hampshire State Library is the first state library in America and was founded on January 25, 1717.
NH STATE LIBRARY CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC STARTING 3/17/2020
Due to the current NH State of Emergency directives regarding COVID-19, the New Hampshire State Library will be closed to the public beginning at 12 noon on Tuesday 3/17/2020. This closure will remain in place until Monday, 5/4/2020. At this time, library services are available by phone, email or by accessing our online collections and resources through our website, www.nh.gov/nhsl. NH State Library staff will continue to provide technical and professional services to the libraries in the state.
STATEWIDE INTERLIBRARY LOAN SUSPENDED
Please visit https://nhais.blogspot.com/2020/03/nh-state-library-suspends-statewide.html for more detailed information and FAQs about the suspension, and note that more information will be forthcoming from NHAIS Services.
For reference or research service, contact the State Library by phone at (603) 271-2144, or through our online Ask a Librarian form
- All onsite classes, programs, and meeting room reservations are suspended through 5/4/2020.
- Items to be returned to the State Library should be kept by the borrower at this time until we reopen, or if you are a state employee, returned via interoffice mail.
- Requests to renew materials can be made by phone, (603) 271-2616.
COVID-19 RESOURCES FOR NH LIBRARIANS
Article on how to sanitize collections from American Libraries Magazine, 3/27/2020:
NH Governor's list of essential services relative to Executive Order #17 (added 3/27/2020):
NH Department of Justice issues Scam Alert related to COVID-19 (added 3/27/2020):
Updates for Public Library Data Survey due to COVID-19 (added 3/26/2020):
Multi-lingual communication signs for libraries (added 3/25/2020):
NH Governor's Emergency Orders pertaining to COVID-19:
NH Governor’s memo 3/16/2020 regarding public bodies and the Right-to-Know law during the pandemic (Important for Library Trustees):
CDC cleaning and disinfecting guidelines:
**please do NOT combine cleaning materials – there is a very good chance you can combine chemicals into something hazardous!!
CDC – Properties of an ideal disinfectant:
ALA Pandemic Preparedness Resources:
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases – COVID-19 on surfaces (3/17/2020):
News & Events:
The Mission of the New Hampshire State Library is to:
- Promote excellence in libraries and library services to all New Hampshire residents;
- Assist libraries and the people of New Hampshire with rapid access to library and informational resources through the development and coordination of a statewide library/information system;
- Meet the informational needs of New Hampshire state, county and municipal governments and its libraries;
- Serve as a resource center for New Hampshire.
Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA).
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe