Our Victim Services Action Plan is developed with feedback from many justice system stakeholders in New Hampshire and nationally.
A major step in planning included New Hampshire hosting a national training and technical assistance event, entitled Promising Practices & Strategies for Victim Services in Corrections. Sponsored by the National Center for Victims of Crime and U.S. Department of Justice’s Office for Victims of Crime, the project addressed themes of collaboration and community justice. That project offered much information about victim services in corrections, victim impact programming in correctional facilities and communities, and responding to workplace violence and staff victimization.
Our Victim Services Action Plan seeks continuous improvement of services and support for people who are crime victims and survivors. The plan includes multiple strategies developed following research of model correctional programs and collaboration with many stakeholders.
The strategies achieve a number of goals and objectives. Some current direct service priorities include:
- GOAL: Minimize further trauma to crime victims and their families through enhanced advocacy and responsiveness by department staff;
- Provide timely notification to victims about offender status
- Publish and make available information to victims about prisons, probation, parole and victim services
- Offer reasonable safety measures for victims who may be intimidated or harassed by offenders
-Provide support and information for inmates who report sexual assault and related victimization
- Enhance collection and disbursement of restitution to victims of inmates housed in all NHDOC facilities
- GOAL: Support and encourage victim involvement in the post-conviction phase of New Hampshire's justice system;
- Continue improvements in advocacy and support for victims during reduced custody decisions and Adult Parole Board hearings
- Victim-initiated Victim-Offender Dialogue (VOD) between victims and offenders who choose to participate
- Interested victims and survivors participate as guest presenters during Victim IMPACT educational classes for offenders
- Increase safe reporting options for inmates/residents with sexual abuse concerns.
- GOAL: Integrate victim-sensitive principles and practices within NHDOC facilities and districts
- Enhance NHDOC staff development regarding victim awareness and sensitivity, including issues of domestic and family violence
- Establish victim services liaisons in each district office and correctional facility
Our Principles | Our Priorities | Our Services | Publications | Other Resources