State of New Hampshire
Department of Corrections logo
New Hampshire Department of Corrections
Public | Business | Government | Search This Site

 About Us
 State Prisons
 Inmate Locator
 Contact Us
 Site Map

Inmate Communications

Studies show that inmates who maintain contact with friends and family throughout their incarceration have a greater chance of rehabilitation and a lower risk of recidivism. The New Hampshire DOC is committed to fostering that contact and offers several ways for inmates to stay in touch with their friends and families.


link to more information about calling inmates         link to more information about emailing inmates         link to send mail         link to send package         link to more information about sending money


  • Phone Calls

Telephone calls are a privilege extended to inmates to help them stay in touch with their friends and families. Calls can be made either pre-paid or collect by the inmate. Inmates are not able to receive incoming calls. Calls must be party to party, no 3-way calling or other alternative calling methods are allowed. Inmates must add you to their calling list prior to being able to phone you. Inmates may add or remove people from their calling list by completing the appropriate form. For answers to other questions regarding inmate phone calls please visit the phone faq web page.

  • E-Mail

In today's modern society E-Mail has become a predominant method of communication. NHDOC has partnered with AccessCorrections to provide inmates the ability to send and receive e-mail communications from their friends and families. Inmate email addresses are not posted or published by the department. The inmate must provide you with his/her email address to begin communicating this way.

Who Pays?

The inmate is responsible for the cost of both incoming and outgoing emails. The current charge is 44 cents per email message, less than the cost of a stamp.

How Does it Work?

Inmates must purchase an mp3/email player from AccessCorrections in order to send and receive emails. Inmates do not have access to the Internet. They receive and send emails through a secure and direct connection to AccessCorrections via their private network.

Can I Send Attachments?

Attachments are not allowed to be sent with e-mails. Emails are scanned and monitored by DOC staff.

How Can I Find Out More Information?

Call AccessCorrections customer service line toll free at 1-888-345-1884.

  • Sending Mail

Sending mail is probably one of the easiest ways to stay in touch. For security reasons there are a few restrictions on what may be included in a letter/postcard. To address mail to an inmate you should use the inmates full name and ID number along with the address of the facility. Facility mailing addresses can be found on the facility page here.

What are the Mail Restrictions?

Beginning May 1st 2015, All incoming correspondence shall utilize standard stock stationary or standard stock plain postcards. No greeting cards, postcards from particular locations or featuring any type of printed design, picture, or depiction or unusually thick stationary shall be utilized for the correspondence. Incoming correspondence shall be written only in ink or pencil and shall not exhibit any drawings, stickers, or other depictions.

Inmate Mail Policy Adobe Acrobat
Amendment to Mail Policy #5.26 - January 18, 2018 Adobe Acrobat

  • Sending Packages

You may not send packages to inmates directly. All packages must be sent using a third-party vendor. The New Hampshire Department of Corrections Recreation Offices work with Union Supply Direct to buy items such as shoes, clothing, electronics, and other allowable items. You may also purchase pre-approved food items for C-2 and C-3 inmates once a year through Union Supply Direct during the Summer Incentive-Based Package Program. Family and friends can order property and summer packages online. Additionally, you may order by phone toll free at (877) 765-7012 or mail your order form to Dept.#605, P.O. Box 309, Groveport, OH 43125-0309.

Packages may be ordered online at

  • Sending Money

Inmates can receive money in the mail in the form of a personal check or money order only. The Department does not accept electronic money transfers. You cannot send an inmate cash in the mail. The check or money order must be made payable to the Inmate's name and identification number. Your name and complete return address should be written legibly on both the envelope and on the money order/check. The check or money order will be deposited into the inmate's account.

How Much Can I Send?

An inmate is allowed to have a maximum of $1000 dollars in their account. If you send an amount that causes the inmates account to exceed that balance, he/she will have to send the difference back out to family.

Is There a Hold on Checks?

The DOC places a 30 day hold on personal checks. This is to ensure that checks clear before being credited to inmate account to be spent. Money Orders are not subject to a hold and will be deposited to an inmate account with a few days of receipt.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

nh | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy