Swanzey, New Hampshire
- One mile north of N.H. Route 32 near the site of an old Indian
community on Sawyer's Crossing Road in Swanzey. It spans the Ashuelot River.
- Style of Bridge:
- Town lattice truss
- Year of Construction:
- Built in 1859 to replace a bridge constructed prior to 1771.
- Original Cost:
- 1771 - 53 pounds, six shillings.
- Structural Characteristics:
- The bridge is 158'5" long with clear span of 61'6" and 77'3".
It has an overall width of 21'0" with a roadway width of 17'2"
and a maximum vertical clearance of 12'0". It has fully sheathed
sides. The structure is posted for three tons.
- Maintained By:
- Town of Swanzey
- World Guide Number:
- New Hampshire Number:
- Historical Remarks:
- According to the History of Swanzey by Benjamin Read, this
structure is also known by the name Cresson. The bridge was
reconstructed in 1859 at a cost of $1,735.94. The event was
celebrated with a big dance held right on the bridge. Lanterns
were hung from the rafters, a four piece orchestra played, lunch
was served at midnight, and the dance continued all night. In
1953 the bridge was used by Arthur Godfrey as a tie-in with a
Chesterfield cigarette Christmas carton. In response, Governor
Hugh Gregg flew to New York to present Mr. Godfrey with an
honorary deed to the bridge making him an owner. The bridge was
repaired in 1983 at a cost of $61,028.15 of which $16,446.22 was
contributed by the town. The remainder came from the state. The
Sawyer's Crossing Bridge is listed on the National Register of
Table of Contents
New Hampshire Bridges
New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds