New Hampshire Department of Forest and Lands

Beebe River

Forests and Lands Permits and Forms

Per RSA 227-L:17, the state of New Hampshire requires anyone wishing to have an outdoor fire to have written permission from the landowner and a written fire permit from the local forest fire warden or local fire department in the town or city where the fire will be kindled. Fire Permits are obtained locally through the Forest Fire Warden, Deputy Warden's and Issuing Agents or online at You can contact your Town Office or Fire Department to find out who your town Forest Fire Warden is. The only time Fire Permits are not required is when there is a 100 foot radius of complete snow cover around the fire.

Ribes Permit - The NH Division of Forests and Lands, in cooperation with the USDA forest Service, Canadian Forest Service, Cornell University, UNH cooperative Extension and the NH Department of Agriculture, Markets & Foods has completed a study investigating the infestation of white pine blister rust on immune or resistant gooseberries and currant (Ribes) bushes throughout New Hampshire.

Information gathered suggests the blister rust disease has mutated in the northeast such that Ribes plants selected for genetic immunity to white pine blister rust are no longer immune. For this reason the Division of Forests and Lands jointly with the Department of Agriculture, Markets & Foods, has removed all immune black currant species from the list of approve plantings.

The new list of Ribes plants approved for planting in New Hampshire with a permit is as follows:

Black Currants

  • Crandall - Plant is often grown for its ornamental, yellow flowers and red fall foliage.
  • Willoughby


  • Rondom - From a breeding program in the Netherlands


  • White Currant 1301 - High yielding, late. From Sweden.


  • Jostaberry - From Germany. Blackish fruits with bland flavor produced on thornless plants.
  • Jahns Prairie - A joint USDA/Ag Canada release. Fruits are red and flavorful.
  • Captivator, Careless, Clark, Crown Bob, Downing, Howards Lancer, Sabine

Click for a copy of the Ribes permit: RIBES PERMIT


The following forms are available at the State of New Hampshire online form portal:

Click Here to access the online form portal.

NH Department of Natural and Cultural Resources and the NH Division of Forests and Lands | 172 Pembroke Road, Concord, NH 03301