Official New Hampshire website
Department of Cultural Resources

The Department of Cultural Resources (DCR) became the Department of Natural & Cultural Resources (DNCR) on July 1, 2017 when its divisions, the State Library, State Arts Council and Division of Historical Resources, merged with the Division of Parks & Recreation and the Division of Forests & Lands, formerly of the now-dissolved Department of Resources & Economic Development. The Film Office joined the Department of Business and Economic Affairs on July 1, 2018.

This website serves as an archive of press releases and other information created by the DCR prior to the formation of the DNCR and continues to serve as an important information resource.

For up-to-date information from the DNCR, visit

NH Cultural Resources logo NH Historical Resources logo



FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 23, 2017

Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
(603) 271-3136
Twitter: @NHCulture

South Newbury church, former schoolhouse added to NH State Register of Historic Places

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added two individual properties, both located in South Newbury, to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.

The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:

Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations;
Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and
Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.

The following are the most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places:

As was often true in New Hampshire the 19th century, South Newbury Union Church was used for both church services and for public and town meetings from the time it was built in 1831 until 1878, when a town hall was constructed. A well-preserved example of a Greek Revival meetinghouse, it still has several original architectural details, including patterned moldings and four-panel inner doors that open to the aisles between the pews.

Next door to the church, the District School House #5 was built in 1853 and served as the educational center of South Newbury Village for more than 100 years. A one-and-a-half story building with a distinctive bank of six windows and an off-set entrance on the front gable end, it embodies the evolution in educational needs experienced by Newbury across several generations. Today the school is known as the Friendship House and serves as meeting space for the South Newbury Union Church.

Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit

New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at or by calling 603-271-3483.




State of New Hampshire Seal Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2008