Official New Hampshire website
trans
Department of Cultural Resources
 
NH Cultural Resources logo NH Historical Resources logo  
 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 11, 2016

Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
(603) 271-3136
shelly.angers@dcr.nh.gov
Twitter: @NHCulture

Peter Michaud, N.H. Division of Historical Resources
(603) 271-3583
peter.michaud@dcr.nh.gov

George Washington Noyes House named to National Register of Historic Places

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is proud to announce that the George Washington Noyes House in Gorham has been honored by the United States Secretary of the Interior with placement on the National Register of Historic Places.

Located adjacent to the Gorham Common, the George Washington Noyes House is one of three grand homes built on Soldier’s Hill after Gorham suffered a devastating fire in 1879. Ground broke for all three homes in 1891; the Noyes family moved into their home in February 1893.

George Washington Noyes had spent most of his career working for the Grand Trunk Railroad, working his way up from the track building crew to master mechanic.

A significant example of Queen Anne style architecture, the Noyes house is a three-story home with ell and attached barn. An articulated bay window, octagonal turret and wraparound porch are major features on the front of the house. As with many Queen Anne style homes, the exterior is covered with both clapboards and decorative shingles in different patterns on each floor.

The home’s floor plan divides formal and daily living, with large ornate rooms in the main part of the house and smaller, simpler rooms in the ell. Much of the original interior detailed woodwork is still varnished or shellacked, and many original details, including electrical features from the 1920s and stained glass windows, are still in place.

The Noyes House’s high-style urban barn is typical of the late 19th century, located behind the house with its gable end facing the driveway. Designed with carriage space in the front and stalls in the back, its exterior follows similar patterns as the main house, using both clapboards and decorative shingles. Its large sliding door and smaller sliding hayloft door still use their original hardware.

Administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, the National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation and is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect our historic and archaeological resources.

Listing to the National Register does not impose any new or additional restrictions or limitations on the use of private or non-federal properties. Listings identify historically significant properties and can serve as education tools and increase heritage tourism opportunities. The rehabilitation of National Register-listed commercial or industrial buildings may qualify for certain federal tax provisions.

In New Hampshire, listing to the National Register makes applicable property owners eligible for grants such as the Land and Community Heritage Investment Program or LCHIP (lchip.org) and the Conservation License Plate Program (nh.gov/nhdhr/grants/moose).

For more information on the National Register program in New Hampshire, please visit nh.gov/nhdhr or contact Peter Michaud at the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources at 603-271-3483.

New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archaeological, architectural and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among its most important environmental assets. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr or call 603-271-3483.

 

 

 
State of New Hampshire Seal Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2008