Official New Hampshire website
trans
Department of Cultural Resources
 
NH Cultural Resources logo NH Historical Resources logo  
 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 29, 2016

Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
(603) 271-3136
shelly.angers@dcr.nh.gov
Twitter: @NHCulture

Four properties added to NH State Register of Historic Places

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added four individual properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.

The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:

  • Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations;
  • Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and
  • Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.

The following are the most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places:

The Letter S Road Railroad Trestle Supports were constructed for the Cocheco Railroad line that brought Boston and Maine rail service from downtown Dover to Alton Bay from the mid-18th century into the Great Depression years. Although the trestle itself has been removed, the abutments, pier and railbed are still in place and remain a local historic landmark.

Originally a one-room schoolhouse with separate entrances for girls and boys, Center Harbor’s Village School was built in 1886 in response to New Hampshire’s town system school law that abolished the district school system. Additions include a second classroom in 1902, “chemical closets” in 1921 that replaced the original privies, and a kitchen, retaining wall and playground in 1929.

Mont Vernon’s Greek Revival Old Meetinghouse has provided space for town, religious and community activities throughout its history. Built in 1781 from oak timbers from parishioners’ farms, it is located a hilltop in one of the few hilltop villages in New Hampshire and was moved from one side of the street to the other in 1837.

Since it opened in 1894, Ingalls Memorial Library has been the only dedicated public library in Rindge; it was predicted to “prove an inestimable benefit to the town” at its dedication. An excellent example of Romanesque architecture, the library was funded in memory of Thomas Ingalls, son of a Revolutionary War soldier and himself prominent citizen of Rindge.

Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr.

New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling 603-271-3483.

###

 

 

 
State of New Hampshire Seal Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2008