Official New Hampshire website
trans
Department of Cultural Resources
 
NH Cultural Resources logo NH Division of Historical Resources  
 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 21, 2016

Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
(603) 271-3136
shelly.angers@dcr.nh.gov
Twitter: @NHCulture

Peter Michaud, N.H. Division of Historical Resources
603-271-3583
peter.michaud@dcr.nh.gov

Nashua mill complex named to National Register of Historic Places

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is proud to announce that the Nashua Gummed and Coated Paper Company Historic District has been honored by the United States Secretary of the Interior with placement on the National Register of Historic Places. The building is significant both for its varied architecture and for being an intact industrial complex in a city where manufacturing was one of the most successful and long-standing businesses.

Located on 10 acres on the north side of the Nashua River, the complex’s six buildings date from 1889 to 1967. They include distinctive architectural styles and details from those years, chronicling the continued expansion and success of a company that survived in part because of its ability to adapt to changing markets. The complex is the later counterpart to the nearby Nashua Manufacturing Company Historic District, listed on the National Register in 1987.

Initially founded by three partners who wanted to manufacture playing cards for gold rush miners but ended up making cardboard instead, the Nashua Gummed and Coated Paper Company changed ownership, names and product lines for more than a century.

Its first products were cardboard and glazed paper. The company expanded operations to include a wide variety of products, including sealing tape, wax paper and printed cellophane. During World War II, it began making raincoats, ponchos and bomb fuse adaptors. In the latter half of the 20th century, computer diskettes, thermal labels used by supermarkets and remanufactured laser cartridges were part of the company’s product line.

The complex’s main building, Mill #1, was called “the largest and most perfectly equipped plant of its kind in the world” in 1897. Originally three stories with elements that made it look like a castle, it underwent several additions and alterations before World War I and again prior to World War II.

A clear example of post-WWII industrial architecture, Mill #2 was built in 1946 and made of reinforced concrete with brick exterior and metal-framed windows without ornamental details.

Other buildings in the complex include a brick boiler house (1908), an eight-story red brick storehouse of post-and-beam construction (1910), a glazed yellow brick office building (1938) and the Nashua Corporation Technical Center (1967), a modern style yellow and tan brick building.

Nashua Corporation, which had 6,000 employees worldwide in the 1980s, closed its Nashua operations in 2005.

Administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, the National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation and is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect our historic and archaeological resources.

For more information on the National Register program in New Hampshire, please visit nh.gov/nhdhr or contact Peter Michaud at the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources at 603-271-3483.

New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archaeological, architectural and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among its most important environmental assets. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr or call 603-271-3483.

###

 

 

 
State of New Hampshire Seal Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2008