Official New Hampshire website
trans
Department of Cultural Resources
 
NH Cultural Resources logo NH Division of Historical Resources  
 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 8, 2016

Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
(603) 271-3136
shelly.angers@dcr.nh.gov
Twitter: @NHCulture

Properties in several small towns added to NH State Register of Historic Places

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added several buildings in Hebron Village, the village store in Freedom and a summer home in Springfield to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.

The State Register helps to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:

  • Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations;
  • Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and
  • Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.

The Hebron Village Historic District is an excellent example of a small village center built around a town common. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985; seven of the district’s properties have now been placed on the State Register:

  • Eliot House, a pre-1860 Colonial Revival house with connected barn;
  • The Grange Hall and Memorial Chapel, formerly two separate buildings dating from 1915 and 1909 that are now connected and used for town services;
  • The Hebron Academy Building, an 1840 Greek Revival school building that is now used as the town hall;
  • Meadow Wind, a circa 1830 Colonial Revival connected farmhouse;
  • Noyes House, a circa 1820 connected farmhouse;
  • The Parsonage, a circa 1840 house with attached wing and barn;
  • Powers House, a circa 1830 Colonial Revival connected farmhouse.

In addition to the Hebron Village Historic District buildlings, two individual properties have been added to the State Register:

The Village Store in Freedom was built as a small town general store around the time of the Civil War. It is a high-style example of the Second Empire architectural style, with a tall mansard roof, bay windows and colorful carved wooden details. Today, it still serves the community as a local gathering place, with several businesses using its carriage house as a retail space.

Springfield’s Wonderwell is a Shingle style summer residence originally built in 1911-1912 for Joseph and Nellie Stoddard of Washington, D.C. So many wealthy Washingtonians summered in the Springfield area in the late-19th and early-20th centuries that it was referred to in the local newspaper as “Little Washington.” Wonderwell is the first property in Springfield to be listed on the State Register.

Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr.

New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling 603-271-3483.

###

 

 

 
State of New Hampshire Seal Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2008