Official New Hampshire website
trans
Department of Cultural Resources
 
NH Cultural Resources logo NH Division of Historical Resources  
 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 26, 2015

Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
603-271-3136
shelly.angers@dcr.nh.gov
Twitter: @NHCulture

Peter Michaud, N.H. Division of Historical Resources
603-271-3583
peter.michaud@dcr.nh.gov

Rollinsford Grade School named to National Register of Historic Places

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is proud to announce that the Rollinsford Grade School has been honored by the United States Secretary of the Interior with placement on the National Register of Historic Places. The building is significant both for its architecture and as an example of how school buildings historically adapted throughout the twentieth century.

Opened in January 1937, Rollinsford Grade School is the first of 15 schools designed by the New Hampshire firm Huddleston & Hersey. Eric Huddleston may be best known in the seacoast region as the architect of 22 buildings at the University of New Hampshire, where he also was a professor and founded the school of architecture.

The school’s copper-roofed cupola is a signature Huddleston & Hersey school building detail. Other Colonial Revival features include an ornate main entry, brick exterior and symmetrically placed multi-pane windows. Two large louvered openings on the building’s north and south gables connect to internal ductwork that still provides ventilation to the original main portion of the building and the gymnasium.

For nearly three decades, the main building’s first and second floors allowed for space to be adapted as the school’s population increased and educational needs changed. When the school could no longer serve a rising number of students, Rollinsford again hired Irving W. Hersey – this time to design an annex – in 1965. The brick addition’s flat roof and large bands of windows are mid-century modern style, making it distinct from the main building. In 1998, another addition, also with a brick exterior, was constructed to accommodate kindergarten.

Much of the original building’s interior characteristics remain, including the chalkboards’ frames and troughs, most of the original doors and woodwork, and parts of the original intercom system.

An unusual feature on the school grounds is the gravesite of Obo II, a cocker spaniel who died in 1895 and who is credited as being the father of the American Cocker Spaniel. The site has long been a spot for children to gather at recess.

Administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, the National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation and is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect our historic and archaeological resources.

For more information on the National Register program in New Hampshire, please visit nh.gov/nhdhr or contact Peter Michaud at the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources at 603-271-3483.

New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archaeological, architectural and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among its most important environmental assets. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit nh.gov/nhdhr or call 603-271-3483.

###

 

 

 
State of New Hampshire Seal Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2008