Official New Hampshire website
Department of Cultural Resources
NH Cultural Resources logo NH Division of Historical Resources  

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 17, 2015

Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Twitter: @NHCulture

Mary Kate Ryan, N.H. Division of Historical Resources

Three libraries among latest properties added to NH State Register of Historic Places

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added seven properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places, including three library buildings, a town hall, a one-room schoolhouse, a mill and a movie theater.

The State Register helps to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:

  • Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations;
  • Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and
  • Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.

The three libraries that have now been added to the State Register are all from a period of time when philanthropists funded the building of dozens of public libraries throughout the state.

Greenland’s Weeks Public Library, an example of the Colonial Revival movement in architecture, was built in 1897 and designed by Portsmouth architect Charles Hazlett using funds donated by Caroline A. Weeks.

Originally a Baptist church, the Hampton Falls Library was renovated in 1901 by John T. Brown and donated to the town for use as a public library. A majority of the building’s finishes and decorative detailing date to the 1901 conversion, including a frescoed wall and ceiling paintings.

The Classical Revival Rye Public Library was donated by local resident Mary Tuck Rand in 1911 when Rye was one of only a few towns in the region without a library. Unlike the wealthy philanthropists who funded many town libraries, Rand was a single woman of modest means who wanted to share educational opportunities with her community.

Other recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are important both for their architecture and the roles they played – and continue to play – in their communities.

Built in the 1830s and a central economic fixture in Belmont well into the 20th century, the Belmont Mill is the only surviving building associated with the Gilmanton Village Manufacturing Company; it serves as a reminder of manufacturing’s importance in the town’s economic development. After a 1992 fire, community efforts to save the building resulted in a 1996-98 renovation.

Conway’s Bolduc Block, widely known as the Majestic Theatre, was built in 1931 on Main Street, continuing a 19th-century tradition of including a theater with shops and retail under one roof. A fire in 2005 damaged the theater’s interior, but the building’s exterior still has many of its Art Deco details and the theater’s recessed entrance, making its past easily identifiable.

The Little Red Schoolhouse is Danville’s last intact one-room schoolhouse. Built in 1834 when New Hampshire communities began to develop more formal plans for public education, it served the community as a school until 1901. Just one story high and only 18-feet square, it has been preserved as a valuable reminder of the community's early educational history.

Hampton Falls Town Hall is an example of Italianate architecture that was popular in New Hampshire after the Civil War, easily identified by paired scrolled brackets under the eaves and arched window sashes. The fourth building to serve as the center of town government, it has also been a major site for social and cultural events in town since it was built in 1877.

Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit

New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at or by calling 603-271-3483.




State of New Hampshire Seal Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2008