Official New Hampshire website
trans
Department of Cultural Resources
 
NH Cultural Resources logo  
 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
(603) 271-3136
shelly.angers@dcr.nh.gov
Twitter: @NHCulture

NH commemorates 400th anniversary of Capt. John Smith's expedition to New England, dedicates monument in Rye

Six years before Plymouth, Mass., celebrates the 400th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ arrival, New Hampshire will commemorate the quadricentennial of Capt. John Smith’s 1614 expedition – when he mapped and named our region “New England” – by dedicating a new monument at Rye Harbor State Park on August 14, 2014, at 10:30 a.m.

The dedication ceremony will include music, a demonstration of Abenaki basket weaving, a speech by Smith, historical remarks by award-winning UNH Prof. Jeffrey Bolster, comments from elected officials and the monument’s unveiling.

In 1614, Smith sailed to what was then known as Northern Virginia, mapped the region and renamed it New England. He later published “A Description of New England,” which had a major influence in the English migration to New Hampshire, Massachusetts and the other New England states.

Smith’s book described New England’s “incredible abundance of most sorts of fish, much fowle, and sundry sorts of good fruites for mans use,” and his map was the first nautically accurate one made of the region.

The 1614 Monument measures 16 feet, 14 inches high (17 feet, 2 inches) in tribute to Smith’s expedition date, is made from four pieces of New Hampshire granite and weighs 18 tons. The monument features an obelisk and a large bronze replica of Smith’s map. The other three sides of the monument are carved with panels of information about John Smith, the Origins of New England, and the Isles of Shoals – which Smith had named “Smith’s Iles.”

A public-private collaboration, the project received in-kind support from Swenson Granite Works, SLX Construction, Pike Industries and Redimix Companies. Funds were raised through donations by Mae Bradshaw, Frank and Josephine Concemi; Beverly Reynolds Giblin; Tom, Heather and Darla Mahoney; and Geraldine and Michael Mittleman. Their generosity is recognized on the four granite benches that flank the monument.

Monuments dedicated on anniversaries of Smith’s 1614 voyage were previously installed on Star Island at the Isles of Shoals, one on the 250th anniversary in 1864 and another on 300th anniversary in 1914. Star Island is rededicating the site of the original 1864 John Smith obelisk on August 22.

For more information about the 1614 Monument, visit wwww.1614monument.com.

###

 

 

 
State of New Hampshire Seal Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2008