Official New Hampshire website
trans
Department of Cultural Resources
 
NH Cultural Resources logo

NH Division of Historical Resources

 
 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 16, 2006

Contact:
Patricia Blevens
NH Division of Historical Resources
Pat.Blevins@dcr.nh.gov
603.271.3559

200th State Highway Historical Marker Dedication - Wildwood

(Easton, NH) On June 9, 2006, the Department of Historical Resources staff joined local officials, Executive Councilor Raymond S. Burton, Cultural Resources Commissioner Van McLeod, and marker sponsor Eunice Woods to celebrate the pending placement of the 200th New Hampshire State highway Historical Marker. The ceremony took place at the site of the lost village of Wildwood in the town of Easton. In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Wildwood was one of many logging villages that were scattered throughout the White Mountain region. From here, loggers stripped much of the forest from the northern flanks of Mount Moosilauke. The village contained several sawmills and shingle mills, a school, a post office, a boarding house, and several private homes.

“We couldn’t be more thrilled that this milestone in the marker program will honor Eunice and the history of Wildwood,” said Jim McConaha, the Department of Historical Resources’ director. Eunice Woods, who at age 84 is perhaps the last living person to remember this settlement, spoke at length about Wildwood and told stories of her family’s experience there. She recalled the woodsmen, who in their youth drove logs down the Wild Ammonoosuc to the Connecticut River, and in later years frequented her grandfather’s general store where they regaled listeners with tales of adventure and hardship on the river. In 1933, Wildwood became the site of the first Civilian Conservation Corps camp to be established in New Hampshire.

The state’s marker program was authorized by state law in 1955. The first marker to be placed was in 1958 and commemorated the short-lived Indian Stream Republic, established in 1832 on territory that was then claimed by both the United States and Canada and now lies within the township of Pittsburg, NH. In the succeeding forty-eight years, citizens have requested markers to interpret historical figures, industrial and manufacturing sites, notable buildings, bridges, and roads, natural phenomena, and such significant events as New Hampshire’s ratification of the United States Constitution.

Placement of the 200th marker at Wildwood symbolizes the ever-increasing popularity of this means of recognizing history. State markers pay tribute to local perceptions of what is interesting and significant; responding to the insights of people who cherish the values and events of their own neighborhoods. Thirty markers have been erected in the last decade—eleven in the past year alone. Many more applications are pending renewed program funding and the research required to verify each statement.

The 200th Historical Highway Marker reads:

WILDWOOD

“In this area of Easton (formerly part of Landaff and before that, Lincoln), the settlement of Wildwood once stood. At the turn of the 20th century Wildwood was a center for the "slash and run" logging of Mt. Moosilauke. The village included a school, a post office, several sawmills, a boardinghouse and a few homes. West of here was a dam used in the spring drives that moved logs down the Wild Ammonoosuc River, from the mountains to southern New England mills. The last log drive on the river occurred in 1911. From 1933 to 1937, the first CCC camp authorized in NH was located at Wildwood.”

Texts of all the New Hampshire state historical markers, in alphabetical order by title, may be found at: www.nh.gov/markers/result.php.

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources (DHR) and the Department of Transportation (DOT) are responsible for the state's historical highway marker program and any municipality, agency, organization or individual may propose a marker to commemorate significant New Hampshire places, persons, or events. The DHR may also solicit suggestions for markers, texts, and proposed locations from other agencies, organizations and the public. For more information, please contact the NH Division of Historical Resources, 19 Pillsbury Street, Concord, NH 03301-3570. Contact the DHR at 603.271.3483, or by email at Pat.Blevens@dcr.nh.gov.

###

 

 

 
State of New Hampshire Seal Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2008