||Arts Education Program
New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud Program 2019-2020
Welcome to the 15th year of New Hampshire's Poetry Out Loud competition, which celebrates the diverse voices of our high school students. Poetry Out Loud aligns with Common Core standards for reading and language, in addition to the NCTE English Language Arts Standards. Last year over 7,500 NH students and a total of 10,000 people in NH participated!
NH POL Coordinators:
Arts Education Coordinator, NH State Council on the Arts
Poetry Out Loud is a national poetry recitation program that encourages the nation's youth to learn great poetry. Through depth of learning, memorization, and performance, the program helps students master public speaking skills, build self-confidence, and learn about their literary heritage. Poetry Out Loud builds on the spoken word as an art form, inviting the dynamic aspects of slam poetry, spoken word, contextual anlaysis, and theater into the classroom.
Nationwide, the program involves 365,000 students annually and awards $50,000 in scholarships. Funding comes from The Poetry Foundation and National Endowment for the Arts, and is awarded to each State Arts Council to carry out a statewide program.
In New Hampshire, any high school — public, private, or parochial, as well as home school groups — are welcomed to participate. There is no charge to compete and materials are provided.
Year after year, students, parents and educators tell us that the most important aspect of the Poetry Out Loud program is the recognition and introduction to poetry. To be identified as a talented reciter and presenter of great poetry is an experience that changes lives, broadens ideas about the future, bolsters confidence and provides a wonderful sense of accomplishments. To be invited to present and recite poetry at the NH State House, Representatives’ Hall is an honor and memory of a lifetime.
- September 14, 2019: NH Poetry Festival- free registration for POL teachers
- November 1, 2019: NH POL Registration Deadline
- October 2019-February 2020: POL curriculum in schools; school competitions held
- October 2019-January 2020: NH Poets lead workshops at schools
- October- November 2019: Teacher Orientations
- February 14, 2020: Deadline to hold school competitions
- February 2020: Judges' Orientation
- February 20-March 5, 2020: Regional Semi-Finals Competitions and school assignments
- Thursday, February 20, 2020 6:00pm - Rochester Opera House
- Wednesday, March 4, 2020 6:00pm - New England College
- Monday, March 2, 2020 6:00pm - Winnipesaukee Playhouse
- Thursday, March 5, 2020 6:00pm - Currier Museum of Art
- March 13, 2020 5:00pm: NH State Finals Championship, NH State House, Concord - This event is currently postponed, please check our Facebook page for updates and details as they become available.
- April 27-29, 2020: Poetry Out Loud National Championship in Washington, DC
March 13, 2020