||Arts Education Program
New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud Program 2015-2016
Congratulations to all NH Poetry Out Loud Competitors and to NH State Champion Danielle Corbett from Jesse Remington High School in Candia (left), and to NH Alternate Alexia Gorton from Goffstown High School (right)
Photo by Allegra Boverman
Welcome to the 11th year of New Hampshire's Poetry Out Loud competition, which celebrates the diverse voices of our high school students. Poetry Out Loud aligns with Common Core standards for reading and language, in addition to the NCTE English Language Arts Standards. Last year close to 10,000 NH students participated! The program becomes more popular every year, and to stay within our resources, we are limiting particpation to the first 40 high schools who sign up.
Year after year, students, parents and educators tell us that the most important aspect of the Poetry Out Loud program is the recognition and introduction to poetry. To be identified as a talented reciter and presenter of great poetry is an experience that changes lives, broadens ideas about the future, bolsters confidence and provides a wonderful sense of accomplishments. To be invited to present and recite poetry at the NH State House, Representatives’ Hall is an honor and memory of a lifetime.
Contact your local high school or the Poetry Out Loud coordinators listed below for information on how to join the program. We welcome participation from home school groups.
Contact NH POL Coordinators:
Caitlin Delaney, 2016 Poetry Out Loud Coordinator
NHPOL.Coordinator@gmail.com | call 603-512-9710.
Catherine O’Brian, Arts Education Coordinator & Poetry Out Loud Project Director, NH State Council on the Arts
Register your school before November 2, 2015. Priority will be given to schools that participated last year (up until September 11th) but there are also open slots for new schools. These will be given on a first come, first serve basis.
- Letter to Schools about 2016 Poetry Out Loud program: PDF
Important Dates for 2015-2016 New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud:
- November 2, 2015: Registration Deadline
- October 2015 - February 2016: New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud curriculum and competitions
- January 9, 2016, 9am-noon: POL Student Poetry Clinic at Kingswood Arts Center, Wolfeboro (PDF Flyer)
- February 2016 - Judges Orientation
- February 4, 2016 at NHIA
- February 11, 2016 at PSU
- February 29 - March 9, 2016: Regional Semi-Finals Competitions
- February 29, 2016, 6pm: Semi-final at NH Institute of Art in Manchester (snow date: 3/1/16) - Poster for web / print
- March 3, 2016, 6pm: Semi-final at Jean’s Playhouse in Lincoln (snow date: 3/4/16)
- Poster for web
- March 7, 2016, 6pm: Semi-final at Southern New Hampshire University in Manchester (snow date: 3/8/16)
- Poster for web / print
- March 9, 2016, 6pm: Semi-final at New England College in Henniker (snow date: 3/10/16) - Poster for web / print
- March 21, 2016, 6pm: NH State Finals Championship, State House, Concord - Flyer for web / print ; postcard
- March 22, 2016: Snow date NH State Finals Championship, NH Institute of Art, Manchester
- March 24, 2016: Deadline for submitting names of NH POL State Champion & Alternate
- May 3-4, 2016: Poetry Out Loud National Championship in Washington, DC. Live Webcast and Viewing Parties available if you can't be there in person - click here for full details!
For New Hampshire Schools and Teachers:
April 27, 2016