For Consumers For Producers For Companies Legal Information License Status


NAIC Insure U Logo

For Companies > Continuing Care Retirement Communities

Requirements for Licensing of Continuing Care Retirement Facilities

Continuing Care Retirement Communities Information

On July 7, 2009 the Department issued a Bulletin advising that facilities that provide housing and require residents to pay a substantial up-front fee or deposit are providing "continuing care" or "life care" under the definitions found in RSA 420-D, the New Hampshire Continuing Care Retirement Community law. Under this New Hampshire law, any facility that provides housing and requires its residents to pay a substantial up-front fee or deposit must be licensed with the Insurance Department as a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC). CCRCs are required to submit financial reports to the Insurance Department and meet specific financial standards that help ensure the CCRC is solvent.

Your facility does NOT need to be licensed as a CCRC if:

(1) Your facility does not require an up-front fee or deposit.


(2) Any up-front fee or deposit charged is less than either:

(a) The annual cost charged to residents to live in the facility


(b) $10,000.

If your facility does charge an up-front fee or deposit and that fee or deposit exceeds the limits in (2)(a) and (b) above, your facility MUST be licensed as a CCRC. If your facility is not currently licensed, you must begin the licensing process immediately and secure a license before the end of this year.

Please review CCRC Form Letter and Bulletin INS No 09-044-AB below for further details and explanations.

Bulletin INS NO 09-044-AB Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol

CCRC Form Letter 7-7-09 Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol

CCRC Application Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol

CCRC-4 Biographical Affidavit Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol

RSA 420-D

Chapter INS 1800

Licensed Continuing Care Retirement Community List Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol

The completed application package should be sent to the New Hampshire Insurance Department, Financial Regulation Division.

If you have any questions, please contact Linda M. Zalinskie.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.


New Hampshire Insurance Department | 21 South Fruit Street, Suite 14 | Concord, NH 03301
Phone 603.271.2261 | Fax 603.271.1406 | Consumer Hotline 1.800.852.3416

Copyright © State of New Hampshire, 2007