Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation
Air Rail Highway Bike/Ped Public Transit
The Bureau of Environment offers introductory answers to frequently asked questions received by our office. Any links throughout the answers will guide you to further information on our Web site or from other sources. Should you have any further questions, please consult our Contact Us page.
  • Is the Bureau of Environment (BOE) a division of the NH Department of Environmental Services (NH DES)?
    • Although the BOE does deal directly with NHDES, it is a bureau of the NH Department of Transportation (NHDOT) and deals specifically with transportation and public works environmental issues. All environmental questions and concerns not related to transportation and public works matters should be directed to NHDES at (603) 271-3503 or at the following Web site address:
  • I have an environmental issue on a local road. Can the BOE assist me?
    • The BOE deals primarily with Interstates and numbered State or US Routes. Local municipalities are in charge of all environmental and maintenance activities of local roads. If you have a question dealing with a local road you should contact your local road agent.
  • I have an environmental or maintenance question related to a numbered State route. Who should I contact?
    • Depending on the nature of an issue, the BOE works directly with maintenance personnel to address public concerns. Such concerns should initially be relayed to the Bureau of Highway Maintenance at (603) 271-2693 or the specific district office. Should BOE involvement be necessary, maintenance personnel will contact the BOE directly.
  • I have a question regarding the transportation of hazardous waste. Who should I contact?

New Hampshire Department of Transportation
PO Box 483 | 7 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH | 03302-0483
Tel: 603.271-3734 | Fax: 603.271.3914

copyright 2015. State of New Hampshire