Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation
Air Rail Highway Bike/Ped Public Transit
Operations > Highway Maintenance

Highway MaintenanceWelcome to the Bureau of Highway Maintenance!

The Bureau of Highway Maintenance is responsible for the year-round maintenance of New Hampshire's State Highways (excluding Turnpikes) comprising of approximately 8,710 lane miles divided between six District Offices. This includes winter snow and ice control, guardrail repair, mowing, road patching, litter pickup, removal of highway debris/road hazards, maintenance of drainage systems, and the Sponsor-A-Highway Program. During State Emergencies or accidents our Highway Maintainers are often the early responders assisting in clearing roads of washout debris, fallen trees, marking a damaged road so vehicles can safely pass, or to carry out detour operations if necessary.

Caleb Dobbins, Administrator
Bureau of Highway Maintenance


To Apply Click Here:

DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY INCLUDING A LIST OF STATEWIDE LOCATIONS - Explore an exciting career opportunity as a Highway Maintainer I/II. Positions available throughout the entire State of New Hampshire


District Offices

In order to more efficiently maintain our State roadways, the State of New Hampshire is divided into six District Offices. Each District Office's engineering, technical and clerical staff manage day-to-day operations. Within each District there are between 14 and 19 Patrol Sheds that maintain the roadway system in an effective and efficient manner. Our dedicated Highway Maintainers and staff remain on call from mid October to late April to sand or snowplow as needed. During the winter months, each District has a "Night Patrol" that monitors the conditions of each District's roadways, applies sand and salt, and calls out our Patrol Shed Crews as needed. During the summer months Patrol Shed Crews maintain guardrail, mowing operations, litter pickup and complete various road work projects. In addition, District Office staff review applications for driveway access points, encroachment, excavation, and parades. District Offices and Patrol Sheds also provide support to many of the Department's Bureaus including Bridge Design and Bridge Maintenance, Bureau of Traffic, the Traffic Management Center, Bureau of Fuel Distribution and the Bureau of Construction.

To determine which NHDOT District Office services a city or town use the Statewide NHDOT Highway Maintenance Districts Map and Crosswalk, then click on the link below to the appropriate District Office.

District 1 | District 2 | District 3 | District 4 | District 5 | District 6 | Fuel Distribution

Maintenance Section Information

Use the Winter Patrol Section Maps to locate the crew that maintains the road in question. Then use the Patrol Shed Listing for specific contact information. Note: Actual road maintenance assignments may vary between winter and summer.

Seasonally Posted Roads in New Hampshire

Information on seasonally posted roads is specific to each city or town. Use the "NHDOT Highway Maintenance Districts Statewide Map" to determine which District Office is responsible for a particular municipality. You may then contact the District Office directly for additional detailed information on posted roads, or you may visit NHDOT's Traffic Management Center's "Spring Road Weight Restrictions" web page. An informational brochure on seasonally posted roads is available in the Document Library for Highway Maintenance.

Special Funds & Programs to Maintain our Highways…

Through our District Offices and District Engineers, the Bureau of Highway Maintenance determines how Federal and Highway Funds will be spent to maintain roadways. Highway Betterment Funds are allocated for maintenance & repair work that may include culvert replacements, pavement replacement, underground wiring for street lights, improving drainage systems, repairing damage from storms and washouts, and improvements to Rest Areas.

Well Replacement Program

The Well Replacement Program is responsible for evaluation and replacement of wells where salting operations have contaminated a well on property in close proximity to a State Highway.

Oversize & Overweight Permit Section

The Oversize & Overweight Permit Section issues permits to vehicles with oversize and/or overweight non-divisible loads to ensure safe travel on New Hampshire's highways.

Bureau of Fuel Distribution

The Bureau of Fuel Distribution constructs and maintains all NHDOT state fueling sites used by any political subdivision or State agency. i.e. School Districts, Cities, Towns, Counties and State Agencies.

New Hampshire Department of Transportation
PO Box 483 | 7 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH | 03302-0483
Tel: 603.271-3734 | Fax: 603.271.3914

copyright 2015. State of New Hampshire