Official New Hampshire government website

Frequently Asked Questions



 What is the State Conservation Committee?
Since 1946, the State Conservation Committee, a State of New Hampshire Department of Agriculture affiliate, has provided conservation leadership, guidance, and oversight for the ten county Conservation Districts. The State Conservation Committee (SCC) confirms Conservation District Supervisors; coordinates the Districts’ work; maintains a long-range soil and water conservation plan; and fosters coordination with other natural resource state and federal agencies, organizations, and the legislature. The SCC receives a portion of the Conservation license Plate (Moose Plate) funds and distributes the funds in grants that support conservation activities.

 What are Conservation Districts?
In response to the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, Conservation Districts were formed across the United States. Each works locally and collaboratively on water and soil conservation projects and programs. In New Hampshire, the ten county Conservation Districts are subdivisions of state government. They are comprised of five Supervisors, appointed by the State Conservation Committee, who are landowners or land occupiers (called Cooperators), who join together voluntarily with the Conservation District. They plan for and control soil erosion, flooding, sediment, damage, water quality, and other conservation needs of their respective county's natural resources. Conservation Districts function independently under the direction of their Boards of Supervisors with the supervision of the State Conservation Committee. Districts are generally funded through state and county appropriations, fees for special services, and contributions from local sources and grants. Some Conservation Districts offices are co-located with USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) Centers. This means that the Conservation District and NRCS offices share space, equipment, and other resources.

View the enabling New Hampshire legislation

 Where can I find information about getting a "Moose Plate"?
Visit our Conservation Grant Program section for detailed information about Moose Plates and New Hampshire's Conservation Grants.

New Hampshire State Conservation Committee
PO Box 2042
Concord, NH 03302-2042
Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2007