August 24, 2012
Back To School Safety
Very shortly thousands of New Hampshire children will be returning back to school. We would like to remind drivers of the following:
- The driver of a vehicle upon a way upon meeting or overtaking from either direction any school bus, plainly marked with school bus signs or such other distinguishing identification as the Director of Motor Vehicle may require, which has stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging school children, shall stop his or her vehicle before reaching such school bus at least 25 feet away from such school bus. The driver shall not proceed until such school bus resumes motion, or until flashing red lights cease to operate.
- The driver of a vehicle upon a divided highway with separate roadways need not stop when meeting or passing a school bus which is traveling in the opposite direction on the other half of the divided highway, or when upon a controlled access highway if a school bus is stopped in a loading zone which is part of or adjacent to such highway and pedestrians are not permitted to cross the roadway.
- Except on divided highways, no driver of a vehicle who is required to stop his or her vehicle shall overtake and pass a school bus on the right.
- Whenever road conditions and space permit and whenever the number of vehicles following a moving school bus is 5 or more, the driver of the school bus shall pull over and let the following vehicles pass. A driver passing the school bus must do so without driving any part of his vehicle to the left of or across any unbroken painted line marked on the highway.
- Drivers need to remember that children walking to school may not be paying attention to traffic and we ask drivers to pay extra attention as they pass walking children and as they operate in school zones.
- In the State of New Hampshire, school zones have a reduced speed limit when children are present and/or the warning signs are flashing. The speed in these zones is ten miles-per-hour under the posted speed limit.
The State Police asks for everyone’s assistance in keeping New Hampshire safe.
For more information, the related New Hampshire State Laws are:
RSA: 265:54 Overtaking and Passing School Bus
RSA: 265:60 II (a) Basic Rule and Maximum Limit, for School Zones Speed Limits