The Department of Safety, Division of State Police, is seeking only the most qualified individuals for positions as State Troopers. The purpose of checking personal background qualifications is to obtain specific information regarding the applicant’s integrity, honesty, ethics, and abilities, so the standards of law enforcement, as a profession, may continue to rise. The personal conduct of each person being considered for a conditional offer of employment, especially conduct related to criminal or unethical behavior, is considered critically important in determining acceptability for a State Trooper I position. Therefore, a candidate WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE if he or she has:
- Used marijuana within 12 months.
- Illegally used a controlled substance, other than marijuana, within 36 months; unless the applicant was under 21 years of age at the time of use, in which case 24 months shall apply.
- Manufactured, transported for sale, or sold a controlled substance.
- Used a controlled substance while employed in a law enforcement capacity.
- Been dishonorably discharged from military service.
- Been convicted of a felony.
- Been convicted of a misdemeanor involving dishonesty, unlawful sexual conduct, physical violence, controlled substances, moral turpitude, or any offense which would cause a reasonable person to doubt the applicant’s character, honesty, or ability. See the partial list of examples.