skip navigationNH Web Site
State of New Hampshire State Police
Missing Persons | Wanted Persons | Criminal Offenders | Troop Stations | Searchclear

Support Services Bureau
Permits and Licensing Unit
Pistol and Revolver Licensing

Frequently Asked Questions

In-State Residents: Pistol and Revolver licenses are only issued to Non-Residents by the New Hampshire State Police. Please contact your local policing agency for a Resident Pistol/Revolver License. The Application for a Resident Pistol/Revolver License adobe acrobat reader symbol may be downloaded. Revised 09/2014

Out-of-State Residents:
Please download the Application for Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver License adobe acrobat reader symbol; fill in the necessary information according to the instructions and mail it to:

Department of Safety
Division of State Police
Permits and Licensing Unit
33 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

Pistol/Revolver Rules and RSAs:

  • RSA 159 (includes self-defense weapons and martial arts weapons)

  • New Hampshire Code of Administrative Rules Saf-C 2100


The State of New Hampshire has reciprocity agreements with the following states:

Alabama Michigan
Arizona * Missouri
Arkansas Mississippi
Colorado * North Carolina
Florida * North Dakota
Georgia Oklahoma
Idaho Pennsylvania
Indiana Tennessee
Iowa Utah
Kentucky West Virginia *
Louisiana Wyoming

* License holders must be 21 years of age or older.

PLEASE NOTE: The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states. Concealed handgun licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire or within a state other than the licensee’s home state that reciprocally recognizes New Hampshire nonresident concealed carry licenses.

It is extremely important that all license holders be aware of the laws and requirements of all reciprocating states when visiting/traveling. Possession of a license does not supersede any other state's laws or license requirements. License holders are subject to the laws of the state they are visiting.

If you are a New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your New Hampshire license, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons there. For example, some states only recognize a license if the person is a resident of the issuing state, or if the person is 21 years of age or older.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

New Hampshire Department of Safety | 33 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964
transparent graphic
nh | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy