skip navigationNH Web Site
State of New Hampshire State Police
Missing Persons | Wanted Persons | Criminal Offenders | Troop Stations | Searchclear

Support Services Bureau
Permits and Licensing Unit

Pistol / Revolver


Security / Detectives

PUBLIC COUNTER (for in-person requests)
8:15 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
ROOM 106


Effective January 1, 2015, licenses and permits related to fireworks are the responsbility of the Department of Safety / Division of Fire Safety. Please contact the Fireworks Safety and Enforcement Unit for assistance.


The Permits and Licensing Unit performs background checks on all individuals applying for non-resident concealed pistol licenses, armed and unarmed private investigator licenses, armed and unarmed security guard licenses, and armed and unarmed bail enforcement licenses. In addition, certificates of competency are issued for the use of explosives after successful testing. The licensing for the use, transport and storage of explosives is completed by the Permits and Licensing Unit with the inspection of explosive storage magazines performed by troopers assigned to the State Police Explosives Disposal Unit. The Permits and Licensing Unit’s Gun Line is responsible for completing background checks for all handgun purchases occurring through a Federal Firearms Licensed gun dealer.

Pistol and Revolver - Licensing for Pistols and Revolvers

Explosives - Licensing for the use and storage of Explosives

Security/Detectives - Licensing for Detective Agencies and Employees, and Security Services

Contact Us
New Hampshire State Police
Permits and Licensing Unit
33 Hazen Drive, Room 106
Concord, NH 03305
Phone: (603) 223-3873
Fax: (603) 271-0306
E-mail: [email protected]


New Hampshire Department of Safety | 33 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964
transparent graphic
nh | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy