|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 23, 2013
|Contact: Lieutenant Nicole Armaganian
Memorial Day Weekend - Summer Kick Off
Plan Ahead and Use a Sober Driver
As the Memorial Day Weekend approaches, our excitement increases…summer is finally here! Along with Colonel Quinn, the men and women of the New Hampshire State Police would like to wish the citizens of New Hampshire and those visiting our great state to enjoy themselves and to drive safely.
Our Troopers are committed to ensuring safe travel throughout the State and will continue efforts to reduce collisions and deaths during this upcoming weekend and throughout the summer months. We would also like to remind motorists that the consumption of alcohol and driving just don’t mix. Saving lives on our roadways is a top priority and we need everyone’s help to do it. That’s why the State Police is joining with other state, local, and county safety officials to remind everyone of some simple steps they can take to enjoy a safe and festive holiday weekend without jeopardizing their lives and the lives of the others who may also be on the roads:
- Plan a safe way home BEFORE the festivities begin
- BEFORE drinking, please designate a sober driver and give that person your keys
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation so you are sure to get home safely
- Use your community’s Sober Rides program where available
- If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to call 911
- And remember, if you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely
Driving a vehicle while impaired is not worth the risk of killing yourself or someone else. Don't let this holiday weekend or your summer end in an arrest…or even worse…a tragic death.
Please, Buckle Up…Don’t mix alcohol and drugs with driving; Don’t Drive Distracted; and simply Slow Down.
Have a happy and safe holiday weekend.