If You Are Asked to Take Shelter
- Go inside and stay there.
- Close all outside doors and windows.
- Turn off all fans, air conditioners, clothes dryers, kitchen and bath exhaust fans, and other sources of outside air.
- Keep the radio tuned to the EAS station, 97.5 FM.
- Keep pets inside.
- If you have livestock, shelter them too. Give them stored feed and water from a covered source.
- Do not use the telephone except for personal emergencies.
- Do not use fireplaces or wood stoves. Let fires burn down. Close the dampers after fires are out.
- If you are in your car, close the windows and air vents and turn off the heater or air conditioner.
- If you are not at home, take the best available shelter.
- Stay indoors until you receive official notice that it is safe to go out.
- If you must go outside (for example, to bring in a child playing outside), cover your nose and mouth with a folded, damp cloth. Go back inside as soon as you can.
Remember – stay tuned to the Emergency Alert System Station, 97.5 FM, for latest information.
Nuclear Power Plants