All packaging for Reduced Ignition Propensity Cigarettes approved for sale in New Hampshire must be marked in accordance with RSA 339-F:8 I. The marking must be uniformly applied on all packages, including packs, cartons and cases of cigarettes marketed by that manufacturer. A manufacturer must use only one marking on all brands approved for sale in New Hampshire (RSA 339-F:8 II).
The intent of New Hampshire law is to have all cigarettes sold in New Hampshire use the same marking as cigarettes approved for sale in New York State. Any marking approved and in use in New York State will be approved for New Hampshire (RSA 339-F:8 IV).
Certification of marking of cigarette packaging required (RSA 339-F:8 I) To obtain approval for cigarette package marking the following information must be submitted:
- A cover letter identifying the cigarette manufacturer and the contact person for the manufacturer.
- A copy of the marking approval from the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control.
- Sample packs or cartons, or copies, clearly showing the proposed marking.
The marking is required to be in a font of at least eight-point type and include one of the following (RSA 339-F:8 I(a), (b) and (c)):
- Modifications of the product UPC Code to include a visible mark printed at or around the area of the UPC Code. The mark may consist of one or more alphanumeric or symbolic characters permanently stamped, engraved, embossed, or printed in conjunction with the UPC Code (RSA 339-F:8(a))
- Any visible combination of alphanumeric or symbolic characters permanently printed, stamped, engraved or embossed, on the cigarette package or cellophane wrap. (RSA 339-F:8(b))
- Printed, stamped, engraved or embossed text that indicates that the cigarettes meet the law. (RSA 339-F:8(c))
Send all information to:
New Hampshire Department of Safety
Office of the State Fire Marshal
33 Hazen Drive
Concord, New Hampshire 03305
Attention: J. William Degnan, State Fire Marshal
Phone: (603) 223-4289
Fax: (603) 223-4295