The process to obtain Vanity Plates must begin at the town or city level like most other registration transactions. To apply for a new Vanity Plate, you must fill out the Application for Vanity Plates . The application will then be submitted to the Concord DMV office for review. You may either continue to use the plate assigned to you if you are renewing the registration, or you may opt to get a numbered plate until such time as your application is reviewed and you are notified of the outcome.
The cost is your town/city and state registration fees, plus $40 (each year) for the Vanity Plate fee, plus the $8 plate fee (one time fee). Please note: There is an additional $30 cost for Conservation (Moose) Plates, and an additional $85 charge for the State Park Plate.
All Vanity Plate requests shall comply with Administrative Rule, Saf-C 514.61(c):
(c) An initial or vanity registration plate shall:
(1) Not have the identical or similar combination of characters as any other classification;
(2) Not imply an affiliation with a government entity that is not true;
(3) Not refer to or be associated with any of the following subjects, in any language, whether read forward, backward, by mirror image or by phonetic spelling:
a. Intimate body parts or genitals;
b. Sexual or excretory acts or functions;
c. Words or terms of profanity or obscenity;
e. Illegal activities;
f. Intoxicants, drugs or drug culture;
g. Gangs; or
h. Racial, ethnic, religious, gender or sexual orientation hatred or bigotry;
(4) Not have more than 7 characters;
(5) Not have more than one ampersand, numeral, plus sign, or minus sign in sequence;
(6) Not have any characters other than ampersands, numerals, plus signs, minus signs, or letters;
(7) Not have only numerals or only numerals and ampersands, plus signs, or minus signs; and
(8) Not have characters or combinations of characters which may cause difficulty of distinction or identification.
Types of Vanity Plates
|Vanity Plate Type||Maximum Letters/Numbers|
|Apportioned, Conservation, Commercial, Trailer, Veteran, State Park, Active Duty Military||Six characters|
|Antique||Six characters (four with Old Man Replica)|
|Walking Disability, Purple Heart, Street Rod, Conservation State Park, Disabled Veteran||Four characters|
|National Guard||Five characters|
|Motorcycle||Five characters (ampersand (&) NOT available)|
|Veteran Motorcycle||Four characters (ampersand (&) NOT available)|
|Purple Heart Motorcycle, Walking Disability Motorcycle||Three characters (two must be letters, ampersand (&) NOT available)|
All vanity plates are centered by the graphic on the plate (Old Man, Flag, etc.), and not by the center of the plate.
You may check on the availability of a Vanity Plate by visiting our Vanity Plate Search. Please note that although this Vanity Plate Search feature may indicate that your plate choice is available, it cannot save the plate for you and as a result, the plate may not be available when you visit our office. Please note that the graphic showing how your plate will look in this search is not an accurate representation of the actual manufactured plate.
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.
New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles | 23 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: Relay NH (800) 735-2964