NH Division of Motor Vehicles
NH Division of Motor Vehicles - an official New Hampshire Government Website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation

Driver Licensing > Non-US Citizen > Temporarily Residing in New Hampshire

The New Hampshire DMV may issue a New Hampshire driver license or non-driver identification card to a Non-US citizen who is living in New Hampshire on a temporary basis under a work Visa or student Visa.

To qualify for a license or non-driver identification card, the driver must provide the following original documents which cannot be older than sixty (60) days where applicable:

  1. A valid, original passport and one of the following:
    • Practical Optional Training card (OPT)
    • Visa for attending a learning institution.
    • Visa for employment, along with a current employment letter including dependent names, dated within sixty (60) days, signed on company letterhead, stating you are currently employed. We will not accept offer of employment letters nor employment contracts.
    • Visa including spouse, partner in a civil union or dependent(s) of the above.

  2. A valid I-94 with at least two months of duration remaining. If your I-94 is in an electronic format, please print it out at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

  3. A valid I-20 for F-1 Visa holders and their dependents.

  4. A valid 2019 for J-1 Visa holders and their dependents, along with one of the following (must be dated within sixty (60) days from the date of application):
    • Current letter from a learning institution or class enrollment letter, including dependent names, signed on official school letterhead; or
    • Current employment letter including dependent names, signed on company letterhead, stating you are currently employed. We will not accept offer of employment letters or employment contracts.

  5. Social Security identification card if you are work authorized or a denial letter if you are not eligible to work.

  6. Home country or out-of-state driver license. Driver licenses from another state in the US, Canada or France are transferrable without testing as long as the license is valid, or expired less than one year. If you are providing a license from your home country, you will be required to pass a full examination (vision, knowledge and road tests), and provide a copy of your driving record/history from your home country within sixty (60) days of receiving your temporary license. If you are unable to get an official driving record from your home country, a police, criminal or insurance letter may be provided proving that your home country driver license is not under suspension. A notarized translation is required if these documents are not in English. Please note that an International Driving Permit is not acceptable for this requirement.

  7. Applicants who cannot provide a valid home country driver license or a valid US driver license, or under the age of 18, will be required to complete an approved New Hampshire Driver Education course.

  8. Proof of residency. Please see our list of Required Documents for a list of acceptable residency documents.

  9. If you already hold a New Hampshire driver license and have changed your status (OPT to H-1B for example), please remember to bring in a currently dated and signed employment verification letter on company letterhead.

Where to Apply

Applications are processed at the DMV office in Concord only.

New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles | 23 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: RELAY NH (7-1-1)