The New Hampshire DMV may issue a New Hampshire driver's license to a Non-US citizen who is living in New Hampshire on a temporary basis under a work Visa or student Visa. To qualify for a license, the driver must provide the following documents:
- A valid, original passport and one of the following:
- Visa for attending a learning institution.
- Visa for employment.
- Visa including spouse, partner in a civil union or dependent(s) of the above.
- Home country or out-of-state driver license status.
If providing a valid license from another US state applicant must also provide:
- Proof that you have held a US out-of-state driver license for a period longer than two years. Your home country driver license or International Driving Permit is not acceptable for this requirement.
If providing a home country driver license, applicant must also provide:
- Copy of driving record/history from home country or,
- Documentation from home country showing driver license is not under suspension.
Applicants who cannot provide a valid home country driver license or a valid US driver license will be required to provide documentation that they did not hold a driver license in their home country and must complete an approved Driver Education Program.
- Temporary residence purpose. Provide one of the following:
- Valid I-20 form or,
- Valid optional practical training card, and one of the following:
- Letter from your employer stating the term of your employment.
- Letter from the learning institution or employer stating that the applicant is a spouse or partner in a civil union.
- Temporary residence status.
- Valid Visa and I-94 card.
- Social Security identification card if you are employed or denial letter if not eligible for Social Security.
- Temporary residence location. Provide one of the following, along with current address:
- Valid vehicle registration.
- Current gas bill in the applicant's name.
- Current electric bill in the applicant's name.
- Letter from the learning institution or employer in the applicant's name.
Where to Apply
Applications are processed at the DMV office in Concord only.