NH Division of Motor Vehicles
NH Division of Motor Vehicles - an official New Hampshire Government Website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation

Driver Licensing > Non-US Citizen > Permanent Residents, Asylee, Refugee, Employment Authorization Card

Permanent residents, I-551, asylees, refugees and Employment Authorization Card (EAD or OPT) holders who wish to apply for a New Hampshire driver license or a non-driver's identification card must submit an application to the Concord DMV office and provide the following documents:

  1. Immigration Status

    Must provide an original Social Security Card and one of the following:

    • Valid I-94 departure card indicating refugee or asylee status.
    • Valid passport, visa and I-551 stamp.
    • Valid permanent resident card issued by the Bureau of Citizenship & Immigration Services (BCIS).**
    • Valid employment authorization card (EAD or OPT)**, a current employment verification letter dated within sixty (60) days, including dependant names. An offer letter or employment contract will not be accepted.
      **The BCIS and EAD/OPT card is required to have a minimum of 60 days before expiration.

  2. Driver License Status
    • Provide valid out-of-state, U.S. Territory, Canadian, or French driver license; or
    • Successfully complete and pass a vision, written and road test. Please note that if you are under 18 years old you must complete a Driver Education course.

  3. Proof of New Hampshire Residency Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol

Adobe Acrobat Reader Symbol Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.

New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles | 23 Hazen Drive | Concord, NH 03305
TDD Access: RELAY NH (7-1-1)