Adult Businesses | Building Size Limits | Form Based Zoning | Performance Zoning/Flexible Zoning | Spot Zoning | Zoning Amendment Calendars | Zoning Definitions | Zoning Ordinances | Zoning Variances
Building Size Limits
- Big Box Tool Kit - Where To Start: How To Stop A Big Box
by Stacy Mitchell, Institute for Local Self-Reliance, December 23, 2011
- Examples of local regulations (check with each community for the most current regulation)
- Conway limits commercial buildings to 5,000 SF within its Special Highway Corridor Overlay District (184.108.40.206 Building Size)
- Hollis limits commercial building size to 12,000 SF in its "downtown" Agricultural and Business District
- Hopkinton approved a limitation of 40,000 SF in its Industrial Zone, and 20,000 sf in the Village Industrial Zone in 2005.
- Londonderry's Performance Overlay District limits the size of large scale commercial development in section 220.127.116.11.2 Commercial Building Size Standards
- Stratham has a limit of 80,000 SF in their General Commercial and Commercial/Light Industrial Office districts in Article IV, Section 4.2 Table of Dimensional Requirements in the zoning ordinance
- Walpole has a limit of 40,000 SF in their Commercial District in Article VI of the zoning ordinance
- Warner has a maximum gross floor area for Retail and Service buildings of 40,000 s.f. in Article XI Commercial District of the zoning ordinance
- Windham has a commercial building size limit of 10,000 square feet in their Village Center Zoning District
- Meeting the Big Box Challenge - Planning Design, and Regulatory Strategies, Planner's Advisory Service Report #537, APA Planners Book Service
Form Based Zoning
- Form First - The New Urbanist alternative to conventional zoning Planning magazine, November 2004, APA
- Form-Based Codes Institute
This website has been created by FBCI, an alliance of form-based coding practitioners recently convened to set standards for and disseminate information about the technique.
- Form-Based Development Regulation: Promise and Practice
Geoffrey Ferrell- Ferrell Madden Lewis (APA-Utah Chapter webcast, April 2, 2010)
- Sustainability in Land Use Planning: Development Rating Systems and Regulatory Approaches
Sponsored by the Connecticut Chapter of APA, May 27, 2010
- On December 9, 2009, the City of Dover adopted a Form Based Code for the Downtown Area.
- A description of the implementation of Dover's form based code from Innovative Land Use Controls: Reexamining Your Zoning Ordinance, NHMA Law Lecture #3, Fall 2012.
- Stratham Gateway Business Commercial District
In March 2010, the Town of Stratham, New Hampshire became the second community in the state to adopt a zoning ordinance based on the principals of form based code. In 2009, the City of Dover adopted a form based code ordinance to guide redevelopment in their downtown district. Both communities adopted their form based code ordinances as authorized under RSA 674:21 II Innovative Land Use Controls and RSA 674:16 Grant of Power.
- The Rules That Shape Urban Form
This practical new PAS report examines six cities that adopted "form-based" zoning tools and reveals the results.
- What is a Form-Based Code? from the Londonderry Master Plan, March 6, 2013. (Provided with expressed permission.)
- Form Based Codes fact sheet, NRPC
Performance Zoning/Flexible Zoning
- Understanding Spot Zoning by Robert C. Widner, Esq., Planning Commissioners Journal, Issue 13, Winter 1994
- Definitions from A Planners Dictionary, PAS 521/522, Planners Advisory Service, APA
- Spot Zoning
- Floating Zone
- §2.12 Spot Zoning from New Hampshire Practice, Vol. 15, Land Use Planning and Zoning, Third Edition, Atty. Peter J. Loughlin
Zoning Amendment Calendars
- HB1211 (CL 69, Laws of 2010) Special town meetings for zoning amendment purposes in SB2 towns shall not have a deliberative session but shall have only one session for the purposes of voting on the amendments. A town would still have to comply with all the notice and hearing requirements of RSA 675.
- The Board of Adjustment in New Hampshire - A Handbook for Local Officials
- In towns not operating under the town council form of government, RSA 675:3, I authorizes the planning board or board of selectmen to propose amendments.
- In cities and towns operating under the town council form of government, RSA 675:2, I authorizes the legislative body determines the manner in which a zoning ordinance is established or amended.
- RSA 675:4 authorizes amendments by citizen petition.
- Zoning Ordinances Report , as self-reported by municipalities responding to the annual OEP survey of municipal information.
- "Permissive" v. "Prohibitory" Zoning Ordinances
- Constitutionality of Zoning (From a Plan-link posting and reply ["ZBA Question"], February 2011)
- APA Zoning Clinic, February 18, 2004
- Zoning Ordinances and "Free Speech", by Alan C. Weinstein, Esq., Planning Commissioners Journal
Interested in controlling signs and billboards? Thinking about an ordinance regulating adult entertainment? Before you do, it makes sense to be familiar with the First Amendment issues you'll likely encounter.
- Zoning Variances 2013 - NHPA Spring Workshop, April 29, 2013, Presented by H. Benard Waugh, Jr. & Joshua M. Pantesco
- See Variances in Chapter II, Powers and Duties of The Zoning Board of Adjustment, from The Board of Adjustment in New Hampshire - A Handbook for Local Officials
- The Five Variance Criteria in the 21st Century , Municipal Law Lecture Series, 2009, by Attorney Cordell A. Johnston, New Hampshire Local Government Center and Attorney Christopher L. Boldt, Donahue, Tucker & Ciandella, PLLC (Provided with expressed permission.)
- Can a variance be approved with conditions?