NH Office of Energy and Planning
NH Office of Energy and Planning
Office of Energy and Planning - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation

Agriculture, Farmland and Open Space Preservation

Agricultural Commissions | Agritourism | Farmland Preservation | Open Space

back to topAgricultural Commissions

back to topAgritourism

back to topFarmland Preservation


Laws and Rules

  • Laws and Rules - Department of Agriculture, Markets & Food
  • Senate Bill 519
    Establishing a committee to study the establishment of a farm viability program, Effective Date: April 5, 2004
  • Laws and Rules
    • Right to Farm Law, Chapter 279 of the Laws of 2000 (HB 97)
    • Agricultural Land Preservation Program - RSA 432:18
    • Acquisition of Agricultural Land Development Rights - Ag 700
    • "Agricultural activities are a beneficial and worthwhile feature of the New Hampshire landscape and shall not be unreasonably limited by use of municipal planning and zoning powers or by the unreasonable interpretation of such powers." RSA 672:1,III-b
  • Best Management Practices
    • State law on best management practices for manure management, RSA 431:33-35 applies regardless of local zoning. Generally, if someone does not have enough land to use the manure at agronomic rates, then only temporary storage is allowed and regular hauling and disposal is required.
    • There is a model Agricultural Incentive Zoning Ordinance that elevates agriculture as the preferred use in appropriate zones (residential uses not associated with agriculture require special use permits). The agricultural district would not be appropriate in more developed parts of town where a zoning ordinance might preclude agricultural uses. The model is part of the Innovative Land Use Planning Techniques: A Handbook for Sustainable Development by DES, OEP, LGC, and the regional planning agencies, with the input of the NH Farm Bureau.
    • Good neighbor guide for horse-keeping: manure management pdf file- UNH Cooperative Extension

back to topOpen Space

Portable Document Format Symbol Portable Document Format (.pdf). Visit nh.gov for a list of free .pdf readers for a variety of operating systems.

NH Office of Energy and Planning
Governor Hugh J. Gallen State Office Park
Johnson Hall, 3rd Floor  |  107 Pleasant Street  |  Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-2155  |  fax: (603) 271-2615