Planning for Wireless Telecommunications is an expansion of the technical bulletin originally drafted by OEP in the Spring of 2001.
Originally drafted in the spring of 2001 in response to the requirement that OEP develop model ordinances and guidance pursuant to RSA 12-K:8, this technical bulletin was revised in the fall of 2006, the spring of 2007, and significantly in May 2011 with assistance from Jeffrey Belanger, Esq., a candidate for a master's degree in Urban Planning from the Harvard Graduate School of Design and Sharon Cuddy Somers, Esq., and Katherine B. Miller, Esq., attorneys at Donahue, Tucker & Ciandella, PLLC, a law firm specializing in cell tower permitting located in Exeter and Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
It was again revised in December 2012 to add Title VI, Subtitle D, Sec. 6409 Wireless Facilities Deployment, of Public Law 112–96 - FEB. 22, 2012, the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012 to the Deploying the Technology section.
Chapter 267 of the laws of 2013 (SB101) significantly revised RSA 12-K and several related statutes to facilitate a streamlined application process for the collocation or modification of personal wireless service facilities such that carriers may, in many instances, side-step the local land use board approval process. This technical bulletin was revised in December 2014 to make note of these changes.
Recent articles about the changes to RSA 12-K:
- Upgrades to Wireless Infrastructure, New Hampshire Town and City, January/February 2014
- Environmental, Telecomm, Utilities & Energy Law: New Developments in Permitting Process for Wireless Siting, William J. Dodge, New Hampshire Bar News, September 17, 2014
- Streamlined Application Process for the Collocation and Modification of Personal Wireless Service Facilities in NH, Justin L. Pasay, Esq., DTC Lawyers, November 12, 2014
For additional information, see the Personal Wireless Service Facilities subject heading on the Planning page in the Resource Library.
Planning for Wireless Telecommunications - December 2014
- The Technology
- The Transition to Satellites
- Deploying the Technology
- Checklist for a Wireless Telecommunication Ordinance
- Procedural Considerations
- Sources of Additional Information
- Application for Telecommunication Antenna or Facility
- FCC Ruling
(For your convenience, a streamlined version of the technical bulletin is available to download and print.)