- UNH Updates Coastal Flood Hazard Maps for NH Communities
April 22, 2014
DURHAM, N.H. –– Based on work conducted by the University of New Hampshire, coastal New Hampshire communities in Strafford and Rockingham counties have received updated preliminary flood hazard maps as part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) nationwide program to update coastal flood hazard maps.
- Preliminary copies of FEMA's maps for coastal NH were released on April 9, 2014. Copies of these maps, the Flood Insurance Studies, and the GIS data can be viewed and downloaded online on the FEMA Map Service Center. The maps can also be viewed at the communities' town or city offices.
- On March 21, 2014, President Obama signed the Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2014 into law. This law repeals and modifies certain provisions of the Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act, which was enacted in 2012.
NFIP Training Webinars
Numerous free, online National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) - related trainings available through FEMA's contractor, STARR. Many of the courses are eligible for CEC credits for Certified Floodplain Managers (CFM).
Use this registration form to register or to check on upcoming courses (click the "Upcoming" tab). New Hampshire is in FEMA Region 1.
Upcoming courses include:
- Elevation Certificates for A Zones - December 11, 2014 - 1:00-3:30 PM
- Elevation Certificates - December 18, 2014 - 1:00-2:00 PM
CRS Webinar Series
- Introduction to CRS - December 16, 2014 – 1:00-2:00 PM; February 17, 2015 - 1:00-2:00 PM
- Developing a Plan for Public Information, Coverage Improvement Plan and using FloodSmart – December 17, 2014 - 1:00-2:00 PM
- Preparing for a Verification Visit - January 20, 2015 - 1:00-2:15 PM
- Flood Warning & Response (Activity 610) - January 21, 2015 - 1:00-2:15 PM
- Developing Outreach Projects (Activity 330) - February 18, 2015 - 1:00-2:00 PM
Other NFIP Training Opportunities
- Communicating Flood Risk – December 16, 2014 – 3:00-4:00PM (floodsmart.gov)
- FEMA Mapping Changes - December 17, 2014 - 11:00 AM-1:00 PM; December 30, 2014 - 3:00-5:00 PM