March 20 to 24, 2017, is New Hampshire Flood Safety Awareness Week.
Flooding is the most common disaster event in New Hampshire and flooding is the #1 natural disaster in the United States. The purpose of this week is to encourage all residents to take responsibility in preparing their homes, communities and businesses for flooding events. This is a time for individuals, families, businesses and communities to understand their risk for flooding and take precautions to protect their families and homes in the event of flooding.
- Floods are the #1 natural disasters in the United States.
- Flooding is the most common disaster event in New Hampshire.
- Flood damage is not covered by homeowner’s policies. Flood insurance is the best way to protect your home, business, and belongings from flood damage.
- All residents in a community that participates in the National Flood Insurance Program are eligible to purchase a flood insurance policy no matter what their flood risk is.
- In high-risk areas, there is at least a 1 in 4 chance of flooding during a 30-year mortgage.
- There is usually a 30-day waiting period before a flood insurance policy goes into effect so plan ahead.
- Everyone lives in a flood zone whether it is a low, moderate, or high risk area. You don’t need to live near water to be flooded.
- Flood Facts Flyer
- Sample Social Media Messages
- Sample Press Release